Seagate 400GB SATA-300 5 year warranty, $99 SHIPPED

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rogersmj, Oct 14, 2006.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Fantastic deal for a nice sized chunk of storage:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4799749

I brought this up in a Feeler thread in Marketplace and people started talking about it, and didn't see a post in here so thought I should make one.

Excellent price for a drive with all the latest tech -- perpendicular recording, SATA-II (SATA-300), 16MB cache, and a 5 year warranty. I ordered one today. Remember to select Ground Shipping to get free shipping; I'm very lucky and get all my Outpost orders the very next business day even with Ground Shipping because they have a warehouse in my town (Lafayette, IN).

My opinions:
    I have slowly been switching over all my drives to Seagates since my fantastic personal experiences with Western Digital (20% failure rate) and IBM/Hitachi (40% failure rate) drives. :rolleyes: I have found Maxtors to be mostly reliable (have only lost one Maxtor out of about 12), but I find them too noisy. I currently own 10 hard drives, most of them in my file server (which now will be 1.6TB once this new drive arrives), and 7 of them are Seagates. I have never lost a Seagate drive made within the last three years (in the old old days, they sucked, but now they're the best), and I've been through a heck of a lot of drives. The 5-year warranty on Seagates is also second to none, and they're quiet to boot.

2. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

3. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Because they changed it!

DAMMIT, they changed the price before I could order it.

5. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Wow that sucks. I'm glad I jumped on that last night.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, I was gonna say, $99 seemed too good to be true... maybe it was a mistake.

7. Tramalon macrumors newbie

Don't sweat it. It'll be back....check 'ol dealmac.com occasionally and you'll see it again.

8. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

True, I will have to be patient and wait.

Man that was a great deal too.

Thanks for the link.

9. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No, it's not a mistake. That's in line with Outpost's good sales on hard drives -- usually they have a really hot deal at least once a week on a hard drive. A year ago I got a 300GB hard drive for $99 from Outpost when they were retailing for $200, just like this 400GB deal. I bet this deal or something like it will be back soon.

10. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Ahh bummers. $99 is such a steal! Well, since I didn't catch it on time, I just went to Fry's and they're selling it for $129 there. Still not too bad, you're saving about $70. So I picked up two of them while I was there. :-D

11. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor