Seagate HD on 9500 recognized by SCSI probe, but won't mount

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by swindmill, Apr 4, 2005.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I have a Powermac 9500 which hasn't been used in several years. When I first obtained it and turned it on, it would not boot, and I eventually realized this was because the HD was not mounted. I've been booting off different OS disks trying to troublehsoot and get the HD to mount. I just recently got SCSI Probe control panel on it and it was able to recognize the Seagate HD, but when I try to mount it, I get an error. If I run Apple Drive Setup, it recognizes the the HD but says "unsupported". I know of the issues with non-Apple HD's, but even 3rd party programs won't mount this HD. I'm not even sure that it didn't coome with the Powermac, as it says on it that it was manufactured for Apple.

Any ideas what my problem is?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I think in general the problem is that the drive has lost it's SCSI driver software on the drive.. Normally, what you would do is to use the SCSI formatting program and to an "Update Driver" on it. It looks like the Apple HDSC setup or Drive setup isn;t recognizing it, so it may have been formatted with a third party formatter like FWB HD Toolkit in the past. You would need to find that software and update the SCSI driver using it.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I tried a patched version of Apple's HD SC setup which is supposed to recognize any HD, but it did not recognize mine.

I've also attempted to use 3rd party programs to mount the drive, but they won't fit on a floppy disk, and since the 9500 is booted off of a CD, that's the only drive I have open. It's looking like I'll have to find another HD to get it running. I'm all out of ideas.