Seagate Momentus Or Western Digital Scorpio?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamIchi, Jun 17, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I always recommend Seagate drives. Their 5 year warranty can't be beat.

3. Shai-Nadir macrumors newbie

I also had a hard time deciding which one to go with but I ultimately chose the scorpio because it was cheaper and it would be shipped from macsales. The scorpio in terms of heat and noise is no different than the stock 60gb 5400rpm seagate that came with the Macbook.

4. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Your macbook came with a seagate? Mine had a 60gb 5400rpm Toshiba in it... hmmm...

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

I would say that depends upon how long you plan to keep your MacBook. Both are great brands, IMO. But Seagate offers a five year warranty versus WD's three years. A longer warranty doesn't necessarily indicate higher reliability. If you plan to keep your MB for more than three years, I'd say purchase the Seagate for the longer warranty term, otherwise save yourself a few bucks and get the WD.

Apple has contracts with multiple hard drive manufacturers, so no surprise there. My PowerBook has a Fujitsu hard drive.

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's what I was thinking. It's rare that I keep a computer longer then 3 years, so I guess I'll go with the WD.

7. qool macrumors newbie

qool

I've been favoring WD for as long as I could remember, but for my new Black MB, I have the Seagate Momentus 100GB/7200 installed. Purely because of 5-year warranty and it was immediate delivery.

So far so good... :)

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi