Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter + Samsung 840 Pro vs. Lacie 120 GB Rugged SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by loscamos, Jan 24, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I want to connect the SSD using Thunderbolt and use as boot disk for my iMac. I've read a lot of post and Lacie seems better, but maybe it's just because of the ssd mounted on the seagate.
    Any suggestion?

2. macrumors 6502

AT06

I'd get the lacie rugged ssd. The performance is very good, it comes with a thunderbolt cable, and at least if you decide you no longer want to use it as a boot drive you can use it as a very fast portable drive you can take around with you.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. But I can't figure out wich is faster. In some thread here on Macrumors it seem the seagate works better. Anyway thanks for your opinion. Waiting for other comment.

4. macrumors 6502

Wait for this http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt/t1t2.html The specs and features look outstanding - can't wait to monitor it from my iPhone lol

Going to jam a 1TB SSD into it and then my 3TB Fusion setup will be perfect

5. macrumors 68030

needfx

honestly, I find the lacie to sport a horrible design & color scheme.

performance-wise, I am in the dark, though I bought a samsung 840 ssd, 256Gb for my pc not 3 days ago. up to now, all ok

6. macrumors member

Didn't know you could install and run OSX of an external drive. Is it possible straight out of the box?

7. macrumors 6502

AT06

8. macrumors 6502

Macs make this extremely simple. I've been cloning drives and (mostly temporarily) booting external for years.

Use a 3rd party tool like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your boot drive. You can do this ~live~ and as long as you aren't actively changing data while you are cloning, your cloned drive will be viable. Note that Carbon Copy Cloner recently went from donation-ware to non-free, so you will either have to pay for it or download an earlier version.

Anyhow, my workflow for upgrading a hard drive has always been something like this:

• Attach the new HDD/SSD via FireWire, although Thunderbolt or USB will work as well
    • Clone from the "old" boot drive to the new drive
    • Reboot the system, using the new drive externally to ensure that it works correctly
    • Once I've validated the clone, I THEN open up the computer and do the drive swap.

I've even run my Mac mini from my old laptop drive for several weeks before I decided to open it up and replace it.

9. macrumors 6502a

Take off the Orange bumper, and it looks like most any other small portable drive.

----------

Nice specs on paper.

Announced early last year. Still not shipping, and no price or pre-orders.

10. macrumors 68040

xgman

There should be some new options, hopefully getting less expensive within the next couple few months but options are slim and expensive right now.

11. macrumors 68030

needfx

I had no idea that was removable. at least that's something

12. macrumors 68020

Acorn

you can change the bumper cover on the lacie. You can get a 3 pack of different bumper colors including black from newegg for around 12 bucks.