Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theovandoesburg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
New London, CT
If I want to create seamless roaming between access points, would getting APs with built in routers be a bad idea? Would changing from one AP to the other make the router assign a different IP to my computer? When would it be a good idea to have an AP with a built in router? What does a router do for an AP?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
If you enable both DHCP servers in each AP, you might have a network gone crazy. If you are within range of both AP's, both DHCP servers may hand you an address, which is bad. Your best bet would be to either use static IP's, or use two AP's (not routers) and have a central DHCP server (this is what we have at work and has proven stable).

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I have setup two access points at one of my clients offices. (one on each floor, so seamless travel between the two isn't really necessary) but I would like to know how to set this up with WEP enabled. They have just one DHCP server, and I tried going between access points, but I had to re-enter the WEP key at the other access point. (They have the same key..)

Any ideas? I did lose signal briefly between the access points... so I was blaming that for having to re-enter the key...

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Linksys will let you do this on their WAP11 Access Point. You can have two WAP11s bridged to form a seamless network, WEP and all. This requires an existing network, so you'd have to get a seperate router and plug the access points into that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.