Sean Connery may be old, but LXG was great anyway

Discussion in 'Community' started by couch potato, Aug 15, 2003.

1. couch potato macrumors regular

Many people were speculating that Connery is too old for an action movie like LXG. well, after getting back from it last night, i can say he is still got it. As for the movie, it was really good. If you like spiderman, x-men, or any "superhero" movie, you'll like this one. :) Other than the fact that, for the first 15 minutes, they played the wrong movie reel (T3), it was a great movie. Very original.

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I personally enjoyed it, even though most of my friends keep poking fun of it. I thought it was pretty entertaining. Anything that has invisible men and vampires is okay in my book!

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

hated this movie. everything was about elaborate cg effects with no plot and worse dialogue. I could of swore there was a scene where Connery seemed to forget his lines. I had hopes for this one and none for "Pirates of the Caribbean" - and it turned out just the opposite. Movies are supposed to suspend your sense of disbelief - this one just had me shaking my head "no, no" throughout the whole thing.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Not everything can be Shakespear, sometimes you just need a good 2 hours of entertainment, whether it be mindless action, CGI, comedy, etc. Granted, it wasn't the most developed movie this summer, but I got a few kicks out of it and that's all I was hoping for.

5. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

hehe, pirates wasn't very good either. you know whats gonna happen in the end of pirates from the very beginning. the pirates in skeleton form were lame. And when jack became invincible too? whats up with that:rolleyes: LXG was way better than pirates. but lets not fight over it:D

actually, the coolest part was how they accidentally started playing T3 instead:D

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Terminator is awesome. I just got the Extreme edition T2 on DVD the other day and cannot get the theme song/opening out of my head. *hums T2 theme* It seems like they set up the third for another possible sequel, I wonder where they may be going with that. But back on topic, I liked LXG, it's basically what was expected and much like most summer movies, so unless you went in with high expectations, it shouldn't have disappointed too much.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I thought LXG was worth the price of a ticket.

Although a bit corny at times, it was at least something different than all the other summer movies, with the sole exception of POTC. My twelve year old brother really liked it, so I think it appealed more to that demographic.

If you want a movie that sucked, go see the latest Tomb Raider. Absolutly horrible.

8. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Shouldn't the acronym be LEG? Mmmm....Leg's.....

P-Worm

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I couldn't STAND that movie! Naseeruddin Shah's character was cool, but of course, I'm probably just partial to him because he's Indian. :D

In general, I thought the movie stunk. The plot was pretty loose, you never really became emotionally attached to any of the characters, and the characters themselves were pretty flat.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Hyde is supposed to be pure evil. It defeats the purpose if he can be a softy.

Tom Sawyer? Isn't he just kind of out of place in this movie?

A gigantic ship floating through the canals of Venice? Not physically possible! Those canals are way too shallow and way too narrow. Of course, all those roadways that appear to be in the city don't exist either.

I thought it was a pretty crappy movie, that I got conned into seeing twice.

My last word--this one's not even worth a download.

10. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

As a fan of the comic the movie was terrible. Agent Sawyer? What the hell was he doing in there? There was no agent sawyer! Some nice special effects, but that's about it.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

exactly!

12. Perci Mac macrumors member

hehe, well pirates has already made a couple hundred million so I guess that you were about the only one who thought that it was lame. I guess actually following the storyline, like when Captain Jack took a piece of the gold and became invincible was dumb hehe. I mean why would that happen? Jerry Bruckheimer must be smokin' something. I guess the T3 part would be the coolest if your not old enough to get in.

:rolleyes:

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Be sure to check out the "League of Extaordinary Gentlemen" comics (or graphic novel) by Alan Moore.

His comics are brillaint, but the movies based on them are mediocre (LXG, From Hell, Swamp Thing).

14. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I thought From Hell was pretty decent, but then again I am a Johnny Depp fan.

I'd love to see a Top10 movie, if Moore would write the script.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

waaait a second, here. You dislike pirates because you already know what's going to happen in the end, but isn't it the same with LXG?

Please tell me that you didn't expect the league of EXTRAORDINARY gentlemen not to be victorious? OK, you couldn't expect Mr. Connery to kick the bucket, but even that wasn't all that dramatic.

There were several things that you couldn't expect in pirates, either. For example, Jack's fabrication of his amazing escape and the reality of the escape. The wonderful thing about Jack's character is that he's not incredibly heroic or daring, just clever and manipulative. He's believable. He can't deck a hundred men at a time, but he can weasel his way out of a hundred sorts of situations.

In most movies, one already knows what the end will be. This is not true in some films, like the brilliant American History X. The beauty of most movies, though, is how the assumed end is arrived upon. In Pirates, it is done in a clever fashion, in which people are true to their characters.

In LXG, people are true to nothing because no character is ever developed. The league is true only to its supernatural powers and its members have no personality.