Search function down?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 9, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Is anyone else having trouble searching the MacRumors forums? For the last two days, I've consistently received the message:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Fine for me :confused: Sounds stupid, but....have you rebooted?

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I get messages lke this from random websites all the time.

I just reload, and it works. *shrug*

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

having problems with search too. have reloaded a few times and no joy. Basic search works fine, just not advanced.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i have even gotten that over at vbulletin.org i believe it has to do with vB 3.5 and Safari incompatibilities

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I believe that... I've seen it occasionally at home (Safari) but never at work (Firefox/XP).

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can't seem to use either the simple or the advanced search function. Essentially, I seem to be getting a timeout. I'm sure they have worked since the board upgrade. This is recent -- last couple of days. Everything else is fine, on this board and elsewhere.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm the opposite of you-- my MR stuff works fine and dandy but I keep getting that same irritating time out error message all over the place! ARGH! It's driving me nuts. I do what Katie suggested; just reload the page over and over again, wasting lots of time waiting for a page to finally load. :( :mad:

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I get the same error whenever I click on the Forum Leaders link at the bottom of the forum. Used to work in the past, but not anymore.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I know we're at vB 3.5.1 now... is that recent (i.e., did we start with vB 3.5)?

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I just tried it with my PowerBook -- same thing. Both are running 10.4.2.

Edit: Reset my router. Still the same. That's about all I know to do.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Now that you mention it, I've seen that same Safari alert a couple of times over the last few weeks, and I don't recall seeing it before then. But yes, a reload fixed things just fine. No problems using the MR search now, and I don't think I've had any problems right along...

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Have you tried using FireFox? Safari's ok, but I prefer FF.

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Doesn't work with Firefox either. I get a blank page instead of search results. Is this not strange?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know you reset your router, but have you check the settings just to make sure it isn't blocking something? That is weird though. Maybe try the direct connection to see if that does it. Maybe something in 10.4.3 if you just d/l'ed the update. Weird.

16. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

After a bit of additional research, I find that this problem is fairly widespread, though by no means common. It seems to be bug in Tiger that hits users with no discernible pattern. Many have reported the problem to Apple.

http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum7&Number=721686

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q12519/Connection-Via-Airport.html

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=979381&#979381

Some have found that deleting the cookies for a given site fixes the problem, but only temporarily. Others have found that changing the Maximum Packet Size (MTU) in their network configuration cures it (this did not work for me).

My entire subnet appears to be affected, but so far at least, the only page that I've found to be dysfunctional is the MR search page. Others have experienced a much more serious impact. Apple is silent on the issue.

Further suggestions...?

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

addendum: I tried bypassing the router (connecting directly to the modem). No joy.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Have you tried any other browsers? Camino, OmniWeb... IE. :eek: Seems strange that it happens with FF too. Maybe a reinstall if it is a Tiger bug (I don't have a problem with it though). E-mail Apple and complain.

19. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've only tried Safari and Firefox, but consistent with the experiences of many others who have encountered this problem, it is a not browser-specific bug nor does it appear to be an OSX corruption of any kind. In fact I'd guess the problem is generated by something completely outside of my network not playing well with Tiger, given that all of the Macs on my subnet behave the same way, even when the router is taken out of the picture. I'm going to try upgrading my PowerBook to 10.4.3 and see if that makes any difference.