Search funtion should link directly to the 'hit' message for your search

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by motulist, Aug 7, 2006.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

When you do a search on MR it displays a list of threads that resulted from your search, but you have no way of knowing where that message is, especially on multi page threads. The search results should have some sort of link to, at the very least, the page on which your relevant search result was found. It would really improve the MR search capability. Keep up the good work.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you click on the linked text of the post (not the thread title), you'll be taken directly to the post you're looking for.

Now, if only the search function could actually find something...

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but...

What do you mean?

4. vniow macrumors G4

Alternatively you could just go to Advanced Search and select posts rather than threads at the bottom...

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ah yes, thanks vniow...I was thinking of Advanced Search, and I have "Search by Posts" set up as my default.

If you use that system, you get the below screen. Clicking on the thread title takes you to the thread. Clicking on the linked text within the post body snippet takes you directly to the post.

[​IMG]

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Of course you know, this leads to yet another question...

How do you set that as the default? I searched around a little in the advanced search and User CP pages, but I didn't find anything. I have to admit I didn't look very hard, though...

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Down at the very bottom of the Advanced Search page is a drop down menu with "Save Search Preferences" as the default selection. Click "Go" after setting your desired search preferences above and you're all set!