Search help

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mac 2005, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

In the interest of being a good member, I tried a search before posting my question. The query returned almost 400 links across 16 pages. :eek:

I'm interested in learning more about Tiger and Core Image -- and how both will perform on my Mac - a 14-month-old iBook.

Any insight on tips to narrow/focus the search results would be most appreciated.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since you looked but didn't find a thread that seemed to focus on that topic, don't be shy about starting a thread to ask your question. If it turns out there is a very-similar thread you didn't spot, somebody might point it out when they see your post. If not, perhaps somebody will answer your question. There might even be others who have the same question you do and will appreciate seeing the discussion.

You searched before starting a thread. You had a question about procedure and posted it here, in the proper forum. That's twice that you have shown that you are already "a good member".

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There is a search feature in this forum? I would have never guessed. :rolleyes: ;)

Here is a page on apple's website. I don't now if you've seen it, but it has a basic description of core image and the video cards that support it.

Google is a great way to search too. You can search the web, or you can search macrumors:
    site:forums.macrumors.com "core image" tiger

I don't know if it will help in this case, but it helps alot.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have become very fond of Google searching the forum recently, although I am pretty sure that, since it searches a cached version of the forum, it will not be 100% up to date.

But here are some tidbits...

1) Coreimage is not officially supported by the iBook video card, according to Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/ (all iBook G4s use the Radeon 9200)

2) There is a thread here about relative performance of Tiger betas and late version Panther on many Apples, although probably not exactly your iBook. Many aspects of the user experience will improve by 10-20% in speed vis-à-vis Panther, assuming you have 512+ MB of RAM and sufficient HD space. Here is that thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1384775