Searching files by something other than filename?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by munckee, Mar 11, 2007.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

Oct 27, 2005
    Anyone know if this is possible? I'd like to be able to put my photos on an external drive and tag them with keywords. Is there any way to make them searchable in this manner in some way other than putting those keywords in the filename? Will finder search the comments on a file, or can it be made to?

Edit: found the "spotlight comments" function. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
  2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    If you use Aperture or Lightroom then Spotlight will also search the metadata. May be a littile expensive for just this purpose, but if you already use it then that's an option.
  3. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    iPhoto too!
  4. aj98 macrumors member

Nov 16, 2006
    You should be able to add comments to a file that either finder of spotlight can read....

Tedious if you have lots of files, but...

Right click the file, get info.

there should be an editable comments box.
    Anything entered there should be retained when you close the get info dialog.
  5. jwkay macrumors member

Sep 6, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    If you want to add the same comment to multiple files, a simple Automator action can help you. Just "Get selected Finder items" and "Add Spotlight comments to Finder items" (show action when run). I've got this in my Finder's right-click Automator menu. Very useful at times.