Searching for files vs. Directory Structure?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cayley, Apr 3, 2007.

1. cayley macrumors member

One of the 10 highlighted features in Jobs' Keynote about Leopard was it's enhanced searching abilities. Made it sound like we'll never have to put structure to our files again.

If you want a certain file, do you just search for it? or do you follow some kind of structured path? Has using the OS X changed your habits? Any other thoughts?

Personally, I almost never search for files... only when they're not where I expected them to be.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I keep my system pretty well organized and structured. Rarely, if ever, do I need to search for something.

Although, those rare time when I do have to search for something, Spotlight is a godsend.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i have a hyperstructured file system including the use of color labels and iterative filenames. while i understand that you could have a flat system and just use spotlight to search, i find that very confusing and really not needed if you organize your stuff from day one.

i do use spotlight to search for miscellaneous things like font folders or a certain email message, random photo, etc. but there is no way, no how i would give up my organization system.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Since I started using Quicksilver, my file organization has been lacking. I can only imagine what a better OS X Spotlight might do to my habits...I keep a few big "buckets" but once inside, there is no organization.

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I'm a lazy bastard, so use Spotlight to find almost all files. I hardly ever use the Finder. Actually I think this is why Apple don't care about "FTFF", because they want people to move away from that idea as much as possible.

6. cayley thread starter macrumors member

What's FTFF?

7. shecky Guest

shecky

it stands for "Fix the F***ing Finder"

some more stuff about that on this ars thread

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Les structured than on Windows. Although old habits die hard and I forget to use Finder.