Searching For LARGE Photo's in iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andym172, Jun 30, 2005.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Going through my iPhoto library, and with the information panel open, I've found that I've got a fair few LARGE (4mb+) photo's.

I've not real need for them to be this size, and would prefer to get the <1mb if possible.

Is there an application which can sniff out the larger files, and will in turn enable me to reduce their size (be it in iPhoto or not...)?

Thanks!

Andy.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You could do it with GraphicConverter or Photoshop batch actions (I would use Spotlight to find the large files). You could also do it using an Automator script (iPhoto, Finder, and Preview actions), although that might be a little more complicated to set up (you need to account for both vertical and horizontal image orientation when searching for size and scaling).

3. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm looking for an app which will specifically look for images whose memory size (not necessarily physical size) is above, say, 1mb.

Is there an easier way to do this? :confused:

Thanks again! :)

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Do you really need the HD space at the moment? Otherwise I'd say keep things at the highest resolution/size you can in case, in the future, you want to use those images.

I can think of several ways to do this using the Finder but not so many using iPhoto; it doesn't help that I'm on my PC at work rather than on iPhoto.

Can you create a smart album with the criteria 'bytes is bigger than' 1MB?

5. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not short of HD space, but I know that I won't be using many of these photo's in the future and so keeping them at this size doesn't seem necessary.

I'd like to do this in iPhoto as I can then preview and select which images I wish to reduce in size. Those I'll use in the future I can keep at a large size, those I won't be using I'll reduce.

I've tried the Smart Album route, but no luck. There appears to be no option to select images by size.