Searching for Mac Gamers

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dane D., Nov 27, 2004.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Hey Mac Gamers, Hi, I go by the game name 'relentless' or 'sniperman'. I run only Macs, best platform for the visual effects of the game. My current computers are a 467Mhz G4, 640 MB RAM, two SCSI cards, one cd-RW burner, ext. HD Firewire 80GB, 2GB JAZ, 17" Apple Clear Case Flat screen. My home computer, a 300 Mhz G3, 320 MB RAM, 6 GB HD, USB ZIP 100 and HP 550c printer. Running RoadRunner cable @ 3 MB download and 387 KB upload. No problems, even serve multiplayer mode, with a cap of six connections. Wouldn't have it any other way, no hassles, no viruses, no problems what so ever. Best damn computer for the money. PC users can continue to waste thier time with sub-par computers or they can join a ever increasing group of free thinking individuals. Think about the beauty of the Mac, a visally exciting product that delivers what it promises. No major breakdowns or periods or 'downtime'. Like the old Timex commercials... "They take a lickin' and get a tickin'".

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You game on a 467 MHz G4
    And a 300 MHz G3 :eek:

What games do you play?

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

How in the world is the mac platform the best for, "The visual effects of the game"? You aren't going to get very good effects on either of those machines. I'm still curious as to what games you play on those machines. They can't be new games...

I do give you props for using an inferior gaming platform, inferior hardware, and inferior games, but still seem to think you are playing and using the best.

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Maybe he is new to the computer gaming world.

6. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Pong? Breakout? Space Invaders? :D

Don't get me wrong, I love my Macs. I just don't see those system specs as being up to par for most of the modern 3D games.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

I sense some sarcasm somewhere in that post.

If you want to do any gaming at all, the cheapest alternative is buying a console. The next cheapest is building a PC or even buying one. Then of course there's always buying a Mac.

8. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Yea... why dont we change this thread to XBOX Live Gamers. My gamer tag is LoyalDAWG, feel free to invite me to play Halo2 or DOA.

9. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

I think this Mac Gaming forum should be "disqualified" for unsightly anti-Mac gaming remarks in a Mac forum. All these people are telling me how bad Mac's are for games... it makes me think some of you work for Microsoft or something...

I have stated before, and I will state again.

I'm on a Dual 1 Ghz G4 1.5 GB RAM.

...And I play Unreal Tournament 2004, Call of Duty, and plenty more "newer" line games. And I have NEVER had a problem. People are coming on here and saying they're brand new G5 shoves games off their left nostril. And it seems this attitude has been taken on by a large # of Mac gamers here. Why are you in a MAC GAMING FORUM if all your doing is telling all us LOYAL Mac users how bad our Macs are when it comes to Gaming. What ever happened to being positive?

Oh yeah, I have a 1-year old P4. I choose to use my Mac for Gaming.

Whew, I feel a lot better now.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Some of them are only being realistic. However, on the other hand, some of them are the most negative and pessimistic "Mac gamers" I have ever seen. They moan and groan all the time, and you can only hope they'll just shut up. And, you have to wonder if some of them are trolls. For too long, they've been pushing away casual gamers that just want to play a few games on their Mac. What's their solution when you want to play one game? Build or buy a PC! That is not the best reply at all.

Some of them don't even sound like they're playing games on the Mac. I know many of the forum visitors have Macs, but are using PCs just for games. No games on their Mac, yet they talk only about how their PC was playing games so well. And they're just trolling at that point.

Inside Mac Games and MacGamer have a much nicer gaming community that is very enthusiastic. They actually accept their machines, and don't expect so frickin' much from them. When we can play a game with the highest settings, without AA on a 9800 Pro, and then you complain about the game with AA and how a PC plays it smoothly, but a Mac can't, you're just being an @$$.

Mac gaming has come such a long way now. If you're moaning now, I hope you didn't have to suffer what was happening at least 5 years back.

11. rccola70 macrumors regular

I think everyday.."there should be more games for the mac, there should be more games"

I game on a mac, because my PC is even slower. I have an iBook (look in signature).

But it doesn't matter if you've got a 2.5 Dual G5 tower, you still can't play Half Life 2 or Far Cry..

12. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

...But its worth waiting an extra month or so.

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Many of us are just saying that Mac are not the best gaming machines. Does that mean we don't play games on them? No! I do most of my gaming on my iBook. As applekid said some of us are just being truthful. Yes, some of you do compalin a lot. But why shouldn't we warn someone if they are going to buy a game that won't work?

14. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Couldn't have said it better myself. The trolling/negativity between here and the classifieds are getting out of control.

And I don't recall the original poster asking if a game worked on his system...he was just interested in meeting some fellow gamers that use the mac platform. The guy wasn't even given a chance...I'm pretty dissappointed in the way people treat newbies on this forum sometimes. If the guy asks about sys. requirements, everyone is more than willing to open up and let him know if it will play or not. But to take his post...and basically tear him to shreads...it's not acceptable. Who cares what games he plays...maybe he does play space invaders, but you know what...it's still a game, and that is why he's posting. I'm glad we got another guy on a mac...and a gamer at that!

Welcome to the forums Dane D.

15. applekid macrumors 68020

I think there's some sarcasm in his post. That's the assumption I'm going with. But, if I'm wrong, my apologies to Dane D.

If he wants to get with the Mac gaming crowd, the first thing I want him to do is purchase a new machine.

16. KrysBaz macrumors member

I enjoy gaming on my little Mac.
    We have looked into getting a PC for Gaming, but by the time you have got a decent processor, graphics card, enough ram etc to run the newest games, and ones that are due out in the next 6 months, you may as well forget it.
    You can't get a decent PC platform for gaming on (off the shelf - not got the skills to build one) for much under £1,000.00
    My little 867 12" PB, runs Warcraft 3 OK, it's not brilliant, but it runs, Sim City 4, works great for as often as as long as I play it, yes you get time slowing up when the city becomes a thriving metroplois, but my friend has the same problem on a 3Ghz P4.
    If I want a bit more speed and a more intensive session I used the Dual 1Ghz G4 upstairs, that works really well.
    On a wet sunday afternoon, trying to avoid the washing and theironing it's great to dip in and play. I don't have nough time to spend 2-3 hours plus a day gaminig so dip and enjoy occasionally.

If I really wnat fun I will dig out the old LCII and play worms. Old but still fun.
    - not done that for a while, might be good for a laugh on friday night when the boys are round.

:D

17. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

All I can say is I'm glad there's SOME pro-Mac Gamers in this forum. :D I was begining to think I was the only one who enjoys Gaming on a Mac :eek:

18. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

If you want the latest and greatest in games and quality and graphics macs are not where you are gonna find that. No one is saying anything that isnt true. If you want to live in denial thats fine. Gaming on a mac can be fun, but its not the best you can get.

19. benpatient macrumors 68000

you guys might want to re-read that first post...it's more anti-PC than it is pro-mac...

and it sounds like something that should have been written in 1998, not 2004.

You won't see me attacking the poor guy, though.

I hope he enjoys starcraft and quake 3.

You guys mis-understand the negativity on this board as something always bad. There are a lot of newbies who get on here and post things like "is this a good gaming machine? I want to switch to mac because I don't like M$"

They then go on to describe an iBook or an iMac or something. Then those of us who actually do play games around here take our time and try and ward off any hopes they might have of being able to play Doom 3...especially if they are coming from the PC world where 1500 dollars pretty much guarantees being able to play the latest games. A 1500 dollar Mac can usually play last year's games pretty well.

usually.

There is just this expectation that people (rightfully, i think) have that they should be able to buy a dual 1.8 G5 straight from Apple and have it play games as well as any cheapo bargain-basement PC. The reality is, this often isn't the case. My dual G5 is for work, and I couldn't work without it. But it is really sub-par at gaming if you want modern games, unless you spend the cost of a console and a few games upgrading it with a new graphics card and about 1GB more RAM (because OS X hogs the RAM like a...)

It's fair warning, and there's nothing worse than reading a thread that goes "hey, why am I getting 10-15fps on my new G5? I thought this was a supercomputer! Is my computer broken?"

We've had more than our fair share of those threads over the last year that I've been here.

20. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

If you want all the latest and greatest games your probably a hardcore Gamer. Being a Hardcore Gamer you wouldnt buy a Mac anyway. But if you want to play some good games and actually USE your computer on the side then... well, thats why I have a Mac.

Benpatient: So your saying a cheapo basement-bargain PC is better at gaming then a G5? I beg to differ. Why dont you go throw your mac out a window and buy a $200 Dell? I'm sure you'll love the greatness of the cheapest recycled plastic ever to hit the mainstream computer market. Oh and, Negativity IS bad.

If, as you say some kid comes on here wanting a Mac and the newest best latest fastest most CPU strenuous game(s) on the market, then yeah, tell him he's better off with a medium-priced PC. Now, if the guy wants a good quality computer and wants to play a few games on it, how DARE you tell him how entirelly "gay" (Notice: This is directed to all you anti-Mac gamers, not specifically u benpatient) the Mac is for any type of gaming short of tetris.

People dont come here to hear baiased opinions, kids and adults want to know the truth about Macs. And since half the world already has they're baiased views toward Macintosh us Mac gamers do NOT need people going around telling people lies all because of Half Life 2 and Halo 2 hasn't come out for mac yet. Thats the last thing we need, your discouraging Mac gamers for bad reasons. The more people that dont play Mac games the less games us Mac users get to choose from.

21. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just wanted people to know

Hey just wanted people to know that gaming on a Mac is fine. I may not be able to play the latest games, but the games I play are fine, visually and performance is to my liking. As far as PC's being a superior gaming platform I don't care,I will never own one . My Mac runs Unreal Tournament 2000 Game of the Year, play me at [CSHP] Cinci RR UT Deathmatch\24.29.3.200 and my childrens games just fine and never have a problem. Besides the computer is only a tool; it is the skills driving the computer that count. As far as you people who say "go buy a new computer" fine, loan me the money, I have 2 kids, a home, 2 trucks and a car, bills, etc., etc. To those people I say, get back to reality. Also get back to supporting and promoting the best platform, not belittling it.

22. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Geez you make me laugh... i wondered the same thing when i first started playing games on my powerbook...
    ...that's for sure

23. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Hey Dane,
    Joing TEAMG5 for Unreal Tournament 2004 .... I play once every so often. Pretty sweet blasting.

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

More power to ya!!

Amen to that

25. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

He talked about UT2000, not 2004. And I doubt his Macs would be capable of running UT2004.