searching for the perfect PDA...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Feb 12, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Yeah can I get some help here...

Im looking for a PDA specifically for storing novels and for a information organizer....MS word, Office (budget crap)....and it has to be compatible both with PC and MAC...primarily the MAC...Im not much versed at all with PDAs so help I need from ones that are!!!

now what do the mac heads use for PDAs and what PDA do the mac heads recommend for me? actually its for my girl for valentines day...so I want to make a good impression..you know what I mean...we are both mac users but she still has a pc and is trying to get rid of it but for the meant time she needs it untill she gets a mac.... anways...yeah help is needed here.

thanks guys!

by the way...Im sure this question has been answered here before but im going to shoot it out real quick....will apple bust out with thier own PDA again and when? should I wait? now its just a question so please control the violent responses directed at me.

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I would reccommend a low-end Handspring Visor. Perfect as an organiser, has built in expense program and best of all out-of-the-box compatability with macs and pcs. As for an Apple PDA, there are rumors but then again there have been rumors since the Newton was abandoned. You may as well buy now.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Handspring

I have a Handspring errr....8Mb version handheld. I dont use it that much, and I have an expansion pack of games with it. It probly has mmmmm....4 hours of use on it. The color is Ice Blue, and I have the original CDs and stuff. I would be willing to sell it to you if you wanted...

4. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

If you do wind up getting a Handspring Visor, I have one I'd sell you for a reasonable price. It's a black Visor Deluxe, used very little, with a brown leather case... very stylish, but I just can't get in the habit of using the damned thing - PostIts and traditional planners just work better for me. :) Let me know if you're interested.

5. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Okay cool thanks for all the help thus far.

So how much are you all willing to sell umm. Keep in mind im able to get one with the case for $99. Thanks

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Lets see what I got here. Visor Deluxe with 8MB of Memory AND a Genuine Leather case, a USB Link® Cradle (Docking Station), and, I think I have the box, if you want it ;) . I also have "Pocket Express" Entertainment Pack, I think it was 40.00 (thats what the price tag says). It has Tetris Classic, Lode Runner?, PocketChess, PockerDice, BlackJack, and some other stuff. I can take a Picture if you are interested. Since I have never used this thing in my life (no joke) I will sell it for like 99 bucks.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Wow, I did a "find" on this thread and didn't find the word "iWalk" used once! Good going! Oops... :D

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

that sounds like a cool deal mac user.... however im in need of one like before valentines. so i will probably have to go to a local shop to get one real quick. i guess im going to look into the visor one... sounds like all the mac heads recommend it even if you all dont use it..heh!
    yeah i thought about getting one for myself but I knew I would never use it ...so im happily getting one for my girl. she sure as hell needs it more then me. cant remember for crap but dont tell her that!!! j/k!

why dont you all sell them PDAs on ebay or something? im sure you all can get a good deal on them. just trying to help.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

If I were going to buy a PDA today, which I'm not, I'd get the new Sony CLIE T615-C. It's a nice device, teeny-tiny, has a double resolution (320x320) color display and a Memory Stick slot. I think it comes with Documents-to-Go preinstalled, which covers your Word file viewer. Apparently the most recent Palm Desktop for OS X will sync to Sony devices. It's a VERY full-featured Palm device.

Personally I'm waiting to see what happens with PalmOS 5, which was announced about a week ago. Devices will be showing up later this year, based on (typically) a 175MHz StrongArm rather than the 33MHz (at most) DragonBall that drives current Palm devices, and the OS apparently has a particular focus on multimedia and wireless networking.