Searching in the Finder going sloooow

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

Searching has suddenly slowed right down. Or up, in American.

Even if I'm only searching, say, my Letters folder, it goes on and on and doesn't find anything.

Is there anything I can do?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Cron scripts

You don't give much to go on here. Are you running Cron scripts regularly? OS X requires these for optimal performance. Download MacJanitor (freeware) from www.versiontracker.com and run the scripts.

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

rdowns, no, I've never heard of Cron scripts. I'll take a look - thanks.

4. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Cron scripts are part of the Unix base of OS X. They are maintence scripts that clear up files etc. The problem is that Unix was designed to work with the computer always on the the Cron scripts tend to run at night so that they often don't run on many users' machines. There are daily, weekly and monthly scripts.

MacJanitor is one of those 'must-have' bits of free software.

5. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Have you indexed your hard drive? (Right click on the icon and get info--you'll see the index line.)

You can easily run the periodic maintenance from terminal with "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" then supplying your admin password.

6. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

MacJanitor seems to have disappeared from my hard drive, weirdly.

JDar, are you saying I should open Terminal and type "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly", please?

7. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Yes, that's the line which will do all the periodic cron scripts.

And, index that hard drive if it hasn't already happened, then you'll probably be content with search speed. If it does not work you have the right to complain!

JDar