Sears sucks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aquajet, Oct 3, 2005.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    So I recently purchased a stackable front-load washer and dryer to replace my combo unit that took a crap (both the dryer and washer sections broke within 3 days of each other). Pretty nice units from Sears. I was supposed to take delivery last Tuesday, and when they arrived, they forgot the water hoses. Of course they told me that using the old hoses wasn't an option, because it will void the warranty. They wanted to keep these big machines in my kitchen, along with the old piece of junk. They refused to take the old unit until the new ones are installed. So I told them to put the machines back in the truck and come back tomorrow when they are prepared to do the job. So they come back on Wednesday, and this time they forgot the dryer. Apparently, after the jerk dropped the dryer off the truck on tuesday, it broke. So once again I told them to put everything back in the truck and come back tomorrow when they are prepared to do the job. So they arrive on Thursday, and what's this? No WASHER!!! They forgot the washer. They insisted that I take the dryer, I said only if they could guarantee that they would come back later today to deliver the washer. They said ok, and I said ok, and they dumped the dryer in my kitchen. Two hour later I get a call, they tell me they can't bring the washer until saturday. So I go back to sears, talk to the manager and sales person, and tell them that I want the floor model. Of course I can't have it because they must have at least one on display. But they do offer to refund delivery charge and give me a 10% discount on the units. Apparently, according to the sears manager, sears corporate decided to open a central distribution center in dallas to serve the entire metroplex area to "streamline" the delivery process, instead of each individual store contracting out their own delivery people. So while the people at the sears store were sympathetic and helpful, the fine folks at the "central distribution center" are too busy getting high on crack. I guess it all turned out okay, but if you need a new appliance in your home, may I suggest you go to Best Buy.
  2. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Actually, Lowe's is the best place to get appliances.
  3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Man. That's an intense washer/dryer story.

It seems to me that most "Central Distribution Centers" are neither central nor distributive.

And Sears. Man. They ripped off my fiancee so bad on a set of Michelins ...
  4. Stella macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    I never buy anything from Sears. All nasty stuff, especially their clothes.

I'm not even going to mention their obsession with the Martha Stewart range!
  5. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    You guys are bumming me out! I do ads for Sears. I think that they're going through some serious growing pains and I hope they get better. I actually like Sears for undies and such. :)
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    I've received nothing but great deals and service from Sears over the years - guess you can't please every customer. That definitely sounds like a frustrating story though... :(
  7. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    yeah i like sears for tools as well as my mower and weed eater. however, lowes and bestbuy gave me great services on buying the appliances. the lowes guy was a way better hooker upper (washer and dryer). the best buy guys had a little bit of trouble figuring out how to get the fridge in the house. i had to tell them how!
  8. Err macrumors member

Aug 19, 2005
    sears is great for tools, and i got my vacuum there also, great deal on a good kenmore that got rated best buy from consumer reports.
  9. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    ahh, another sears sucker :p

actually i haven't been there in ages.
  10. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    they aren't kenmore units are they? I used to take kenmore phone calls. If something goes wrong your'e screwed. Because Sears owns the name Kenmore but kenmore appliances are made by different manufacturers (ge, whirlpool, etc.) so when you have a problem no one will admit fault! sears says call kenmore kenmore says we are only a brand name and we are sears so call manufacturer. Manufacturer says call sears. it's just a big mess!
  11. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2003
    I would never request a floor model. I work at sears right now and I've put together tool chests and forced bolts in and stripped them, dropping stuff off top shelves. Me and some other kid were taking a fridge out to the floor one day and accidentally ripped one of the doors off...But for tools they are great.

Since on the topic of sears, if anyone needs Mechanic tool sets, they are dropping down more on the 12th of october. I am getting a 318 piece for $135, pretty sweet deal
  12. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Not quite as bad, but when I bought my fridge about 5 years ago, the delivery story (from Queen City TV and Appliance here in Charlotte) went a bit like this:

FIRST TRY: The guys deliver the washer and dryer I ordered (no problems there), but they forgot to bring the fridge. They tell me they'll go get the fridge and call me when they're on the way, so I can make sure to be at home. I don't get a call that day.

SECOND TRY: On a workday, they call me and tell me they're bringing the fridge. I get my boss to let me go, and come home (only a mile away). The guys arrive with the fridge in its box, and start unpacking it down on the street... I notice that the fridge is NOT what I ordered. They look at the box and insist it is. I'm like, "No, mine's all steel on the front", and we determine that GE has packed the WRONG fridge in the RIGHT box. They put it all back in the truck. We call the owner of the company, who very quickly kicks a ton of ass and gets a second truck to leave the warehouse right away with the right fridge.

THIRD TRY: We finally get the right fridge, 30 minutes later. As a gesture of good will, they fill out all of my rebate paperwork for me and I get rebate checks from GE 4 weeks later.
  13. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Now, you can buy all that stuff at Kmart too
  14. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Supposed 'brand name items' sold at large retailers are usually manufactured at a lower quality for that particular retailer to sell. In other words, it may be Michelins, but I guarantee you Michelin made a cheaper tire for Sears to sell. This is especially true for Wal Mart.
  15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    Where did you hear that? The conspiracy theorist is my wants to believe, but the business person tells me that's a lot of "low quality" stock to keep track of and make sure it only gets earmarked for discount centers.

On a sidenote, just bought a fridge from the Sears Scratch & Denter center. Not too bad, a small series of dents on the top, but when I recess the fridge in the wall in my home office, I'll never see the damage. It saved me $200!

Now considering a snow blower from Sears as the winter gets closer...
  16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    I always go back to Sears for one reason...

I have never found a better designed, longer lasting home appliance for the price. There is a reason why Kenmore is the best selling appliance brand in the United States and has been for years and years. Sure Kenmore is built by Whirlpool (laundry equipment) and GE (refrigeration and cooking) but Sears always seems to inject smarter design. Plus, Kenmore is always at the top of Consumer Reports when it comes to long term reliability. The same is true with Craftsman products. You can take a 50 year old Craftsman wrench that breaks back to Sears and they will replace it for free, no questions asked. Ever look at Walmart for tools? All are made in China. I just bought a Craftsman tool set, all made in the USA and all have a lifetime warranty. There are a few places in the world that might make better products, but when it comes to hand tools, if it is not Made in the USA it is junk!

I can assure you this is not the case with Kenmore or Craftsman.