Seashore - A freeware Paint and imaging app alternative for ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 29, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well at least it's off of 0.1.7. It was there for such a long time. It has a few issues with Tiger and window resizing At least it doesn't use X11. Wasn't GIMP.app going to eventually get rid of that?

3. macrumors 65816

cwedl

Cool, why doesn't apple have mac paint or something for Mac os x? Its would make sense.

4. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think Apple should include something like the old MacPaint with OS X. Make it simple and lightweight, but very well designed and reasonably useful. There are threads here asking about MS Paint equivalents all the time.

That said, Seashore is getting really good, and for most people should be just fine as a replacement for MS Paint.

5. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, this version is a lot more stable and usuable than the last one. I had some issues with it on Tiger. It works great now. :D

6. macrumors 68040

maya

Primitive and frustrating for me to even use. Had the same experience with MS Paint. :(

7. macrumors 601

ITASOR

I seriously think I'm an idiot. I am an experienced Photoshop CS user and I can do a ton of stuff and use all the tools, etc. I can do some pretty complicated/advanced things and I learn quick.

How come I cannot figure out how to make a darn circle or square in Seashore? Am I really that bad? :eek:

8. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. macrumors member

diego

Actually there's a Mac app similar to Paint, it's called Sketch and is included with Xcode.

10. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can't find it in my Developer tools. :confused:

11. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Use Spotlight to find the folder. :)

12. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I did. I put in "Sketch" and it didn't find anything.

Edit: Ok I found it eventually. It's REALLY simple though. I'd rather use Seashore. :p

13. macrumors regular

For those following the thread, it's located in /Developer/Examples/AppKit/Sketch/--and yes, it's simple, clunky, and sometimes even crashes (at least, it did for me when I was trying to make heavy-duty use of it awhile back).

Its saved-document files are enormous, and I suspect that Seashore may have a little more to offer in terms of manipulations and special features.

I *would* like to see a polished version of Sketch included as a real application with OS X, a simple thing with which the kids can toy (although the save-file issue would need to be addressed, lest the kids fill up one's hard disk). The program's still helpful in a pinch.

14. macrumors 68020

dubbz

They're working on that... It'll use Gtk, though, so they'll have to port that too.

15. macrumors 6502

I use the "Painting" module in AppleWorks for most such things.

I wish there were an OS X version of SuperPaint, updated to handle multiple layers. I used to rely on SuperPaint all the time back in the black-and-white days.