Seashore: OS X's missing imaging app

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 21, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: Seashore: OS X's missing imaging app
    Description:: Ever gone looking for the basic image retouching app in OS X? It isn't there. The Seashore Project, an open-source image editor, sits somewhere between Microsoft Paint and Photoshop and plugs the gap nicely. And of course, it's free.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68030

benthewraith

So basically it's an open source Photoshop Elements?

3. macrumors 601

Yvan256

After playing with it with a few minutes, I'd say it's the beginning of a great app. It's still missing a few basic things (like keyboard shortcuts) but it could easily replace photoshop for basic usage in a few months.

4. macrumors 6502a

...or Graphic Converter which is one of Adobe's favorite programs to steal ideas from.

5. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Seashore is just a stripped down version of GIMP to me. I wish it was updated a bit more often. It has been ages.

6. Guest

While still a bit lacking in features when compared with the GIMP and Photoshop, it's not too bad, especially when you consider that you don't have to pay the high prices for Photoshop or put up with the cludge that is the Mac version of the GIMP, though after all these years, there seems to be a real effort to port GTK+ nativly to quartz, so by the time this is feature complete, we may have a real native version of the GIMP for OS X.

7. macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I use this - It's a nice basic free app for those that don't need to buy photoshop.

8. macrumors G4

That's because its based off of it. Its too bad (for Mac users) that GIMP depends so much on GTK, that's probably why only certain features have been ported to Cocoa. :eek:

9. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Uh, I know. It's nice not having to use X11 for Seashore.

10. macrumors 603

solvs

I've been using this for awhile. It's ok, but I don't use it as often as I thought I would. I really wanted a replacement for Irfanview, only program I miss from my PC. Hopefully the next version of Preview is a lot better.

11. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

No, PS E is still way more sofisticated than Seashore, but most of it's don't use this. For me it is almost perfect, though there are a few things still missing to be complete

12. macrumors 68000

MacSA

IrfanView is the greatest piece of freeware software there is. Mac definately needs something like it.

13. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Amen, I just wish that The Gimp, not to mention OpenOffice, could make it out of X11 (maybe this is where it will make the jump). X11 is nice, but it is not a mac experience.

On a slightly different note, has anyone else noticed how snappy X11 program startup is on Intel Macs? Comparing it to my old PowerMac G5, the speed is jaw dropping.

14. macrumors 68030

benthewraith

I haven't used X11 on PPC architecture. I bought the MBP as an experiment and have since done away with Windows entirely.