Seasonal Blues?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Oct 21, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Here's some info on SAD taken from the "outside-in" website:

Its started to kick in over the last few weeks. Any other sufferers on the boards? It's a very interesting disorder from a medical/pyschological point of view, and there are some pretty weird ways to treat it, the most recognised of which is light therapy. I have a large white 'box' that sits on my desk and gives off very bright daylight-like light (mine has an apple sticker on it too!). The difference its made is quite noticeable! My light box gives off 10,000 lux on full and at short range (20cm). A normal living room at midday might be as low as 100lux.

Here's a chart (should be updated in real time) of what the daylight's like in the uk at the moment - as you should see over today, the light levels are rather low, despite the fact there's not a cloud in the sky and its a perfectly clear day:

[​IMG]

edit: sorry, i should have mentioned that the dotted line indicates minimum required levels to combat SAD.

Quite why i'm posting all this i don't know, but some of you may find it helpful since its a disorder that is often put down to other things and not that commonly diagnosed in the uk despite the fact that an estimated 10% of the population of northern europe suffer from it to some extent. So if you're feeling low, tired, lethargic etc, look into it! I think i've been a sufferer for about 3 years but it wasn't properly diagnosed until earlier this year.

more info here for those of you who are interested.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My wife suffers from SAD, I bought her a lightbox 4 years ago from Phillips, it uses daylight-simulating tubes, they have a bluish tone to them.

She uses it every morning to do her hair etc. and will sometimes use it during darker afternoons.

She doesn't suffer too badly, certainly not at the level your quotations suggest, but she always gets the "winter blues".

It's not a minor condition at all, I hope the lightbox works for you, it's cheaper than moving to Australia:D

3. iGav macrumors G3

I'm just sad.... :eek: :p

I love Winter time... the dark mornings and dark evenings... I love the cold, the frosty mornings, the fogs, the snow, the wind, the rain.... I love it all... :)

I hate Summertime... but that's more to do with the fact that we get crappy humid heat here, and 95% of people on the tube seem to have no idea what deodorant is!! :eek: :eek: :p

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I used to have a touch of that. I got an Ott-Life full spectrum light and that helped. Then, I moved to Floriduh, lost my job, and I'm depressed all the time. :D

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ouch...thank god that doesn't happen in this city...our summers can be quite brutal at times! :eek:

As for myself, I like it all at different times for different reasons. I love Fall weather myself, it's a great break from the summer heat & allows for less use of the AC in the car. Also, great exploring weather when seeking out photo opportunities. ;)

6. anneleonard macrumors regular

Um, I think the point about this thread isn't "which season do you like the best" but about Seasonal Affective Disorder which is an all-pervasive medical condition! I have it on good authority that mrjamin likes winter too, but its not just about missing wearing shorts, its about not having enough sunlight to regulate your natural body rhythms like sleep, food intake and mood.

7. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

winter's great, i just don't like what it does to me :(

8. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Yer all just dirty Englishmen :p

I'm just depressed randomly with no actual cause. It's not seasonal at all.

9. iGav macrumors G3

that's why I shave my hair as well so as not to get nitts on the tube scrum every morning.... :eek: :p :p

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i suffer from this as well. a slew of mental illnesses runs into my family, and i'm like the runoff ditch. i've started my SAD cycle about 3-4 weeks ago, it was a bit cooler for a few days... then, all of a sudden, the leaves were gone. it was fall for like a day. normally autumn is at least breathtaking as it fills me with cold...

i'm on a better antidepressant now, first one (out of about a dozen) that worked, tho it was a nightmare of psychoactive medications before this... now i'm just on wellbutrin, which makes me a lot more numb to the worst of the bad feelings (as well as most of the good feelings, but hey) so i'm not as worried about this winter as i have been in the past-- the unmedicated winters were by far the worst. a couple of them, i can't even remember, it's just all a muddy blur from summer to summer.

i've thought about the sunlight lamps, don't know where to put one tho... maybe on a timer in the mornings...

i did switch to the moderately expensive Reveal bulbs by GE, they have a special violet coating that counteracts the yellow, emits very white light for incandescent... they're about 5 times as expensive as the light bulbs most people use, but it only costs $20-40 to do your whole house, which i find to be much more convenient than a lightbox (for my lifestyle). I highly recommend these bulbs to everyone, especially SAD sufferers... not quite the technology that the boxes use (usually specially modified and diffused fluorescent), but every little bit helps. Plus it makes artwork look much better :)

pnw

11. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i hate autumn. i get depressed as a dell. always.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Office Depot has a number of Ott-Lite lamps and, what might be good for your current lamps, this replacement bulb: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=755061. Sure, it's expensive, but they work better than the things that followed.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't have seasonal blues, my problem is year round. A constant fight to look on the bright side. This forum helps greatly. :p

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That shocks me! You are one of the most upbeat people on this board. It's a better place for your presence too.

I love the fall and am able to deal with SAD effects then, but around about the middle of January I start to go stir crazy. I find that even if I can't go somewhere warm and sunny (which is most years) then it's good to just getaway for a couple of days. Skiing helps a lot. I also have a lot of houseplants and their presence seems to take away the edge of the wintertime blues. Dunno if it's phsychological or if they have an effect on the air or what, but I highly recommend it.

I spent a year in Anchorage, AK and found that the same holds true for endless summers. By then end of August I was so tired and exhausted from all the sunlight that I literally hibernated for a couple of weeks. Of course, by that time it was already winter so...

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That you Ugg, that is just why I like this forum so much. Fall is also my favorite season. It's the best here in New England. Also love winter.

16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I'm the opposite way, I get sad looking out my window seeing the bright sunlight every single day. Why can't it rain a little more in California?

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Fall is the worst time of year for me, my allergies kick up big time, and I have to go back to school. So I guess I have some kind of seasonal sickness:(

18. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Move to western Washington :D

19. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

I used to go to school in Seattle, and it still didn't rain enough (although I was there during a supposed "drought"). Anyway, I had to come back to California to be with my girlfriend. She's more important than the weather.

20. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Take your girlfriend back to Seattle. Western Washington is having torrential downpours. Move out onto the Olympic Peninsula, where there's so much rain that fish swim on the highway. I am not joking.

21. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Unfortunately she is still going to school at UC Berkeley. Otherwise we'd be back up there. My friend was telling me that his hometown is flooding from how much rain there was. Luckly their house is on high ground.

22. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

you should move to uk. or if you want dark too, move to scandinavia for winter. it's a hell and all you'd probably want to do would be hanging online. wait, thats what happened to me when i was .. never mind. not the ideal place for me for sure. :rolleyes:

23. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

i don't want to live somewhere that has totally crappy weather, i just want to live somewhere that actually rains more than 3 days a year. Maybe snows every so often as well.

24. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

SAD

I have SAD as well. I use an Ott Lite desktop lamp that I purchased at Frank's Nursery and Crafts. I like it because it provides full spectrum light and is much cheaper than a lightbox. While it is a bit more expensive than a regular flourescent, the superior quality of the light it provides is more than worth it. The color pictures in MacAddict are so bright that they seem to jump off the pages. :D I highly reccomend Ott Lite. They also offer a bulb that you can screw into a standard socket, if you just must have that hula girl lamp on your desk. I find their desktop lamp is nice because I can also flip it up vertically and turn it towards the wall for indirect lighting while I use my computer.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Would that be an aversion to school itself. Seriously though if you have an allergy it's not any fun.