Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
my girlfriend and i are heading to the pacific northwest in the middle of june for a wedding in Seattle. I am planning on spending a few extra days in the area as i have not been out there before. The plan is to do a long day in Vancouver and possibly a long day and maybe an overnight in Portland, as well as 2 or 3 days in Seattle.

so for you locals, other than all the typical boring tourist crap that everyone else does, what should i see/do/eat while i am there?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
If you're in Vancouver, shop and browse Robson Street downtown. Afterwards, head west and spend the afternoon soaking up the sun on the beach overlooking the Pacific Ocean. That's the happening-est place in Vancouver in June, granted it doesn't rain.

There's plenty of fine Italian and Greek restaurants along Davie St. and the night-life, clubbing scene is very active.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Cool. I might be going to Seattle (actually, Edmonds, WA) in July for two weeks. Does anyone know anything about Edmonds or cool things to do nearby?

Shecky, I was looking at Amtrak.com, and there is a train that goes to Seattle to Portland for about $25.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
@spicy - thanks!

@gator - actually we have a rental car, but we keep looking at our schedule and it gets tighter the more stuff we want to do :) we may need to skip portland altogether. gonna have to play it by ear i suppose.

also i don't know if you bought plane tix yet, but we got a good deal going Delta from TF Green to JFK on a commuter, then to SeaTac. - was around $250 each round trip.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
yep, just did it thru orbitz, the catch is we get in late to seattle (10:30PM local time) but we are just grabbing an airport hotel that night and really starting the visit the next morning. going back its a red-eye.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Nothing against Portland, but I don't think it's worth it to drive to Portland for just one day. It's a four-hour drive each way. There'll be plenty to do in Seattle and Vancouver. Also, beware the border crossing going to Vancouver -- allow at least an hour in each direction.

Edmonds is just a suburb of Seattle -- about a 20 minute drive, depending on traffic. You can catch a ferry from Edmonds to Kingston -- not much to do there either, but it's a nice ride.

Update: you're in Seattle, so why not have a Seattle coffee experience: try Victrola coffee http://www.victrolacoffee.com/

or

Espresso vivace
http://www.espressovivace.com/intro.html

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Do yourselves a favor and visit the very beautiful Vancouver Island!!

Duff-Man says...definitely. Take the Clipper from Seattle to Victoria and spend a few days exploring the island - start in Victoria and head up through Nanaimo and over to Tofino and Long Beach...then get on the ferry in Nanaimo and head over to Vancouver to finish the trip. There's some really nice thin gs in Vancouver and some nice scenery, but really it is a big city and in that respect not much different that so many others...enjoy the other things the Pacific Northwest has to offer while you have the opportunity...oh yeah!

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey
Ah, Seattle's a really fantastic city. I visited in August of 2002, and the weather was fantastic (especially if you're coming from the NYC area– I see you're flying from Kennedy?), clear skies and no humidity.

There are tons of boutique-y shops, great used books stores, coffee (of course), and don't miss the awesome Thai food.

And if you're over 18, there's the flagship of a certain famous store on Pike Street... and I'll say no more about that there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.