Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the new NFL Now channel on the Apple TV debuting today, ESPN has also expanded its WatchESPN channel to include support for college sports with the SEC Network and Longhorn Network.

sec_longhorn_apple_tv.jpg
The SEC Network is a brand-new television network created through a partnership between the Southeastern Conference and ESPN. The network launched last week ahead of the 2014 college football season with plans to cover at least 1000 live events per year from the conference's 21 sports. The network consists of a standard SEC Network channel, which mirrors featured content from the SEC Network television channel, as well as an SEC Network + channel with additional coverage.

sec_apple_tv.jpg
The Longhorn Network is focused solely on the University of Texas at Austin athletic program and is also produced in partnership with ESPN. The network is entering its fourth year of availability, but has just been added to the WatchESPN online service this season.

Both networks were added to the WatchESPN iOS app last week, but it has taken a few extra days to make their way to the Apple TV channel. Access to the content is limited to those who have television subscription packages that include the corresponding channels.

Article Link: SEC and Longhorn Networks Added to 'WatchESPN' Apple TV Channel

geeksweep

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
not actual games ....

looks like all you get is actual post coverage or special halftime news. I don't see anything on here that says you can watch actual games live. Thats what I am waiting on.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Sec rocks! I get the channel already so again my Apple TV is useless ! Don't understand why you would rather use a delayed streaming source instead of just turning on cable and that's it! Still don't understand this ( I bought one to check it out) since you need cable in order to watch anything on Apple TV anyway??? Strange! Everything else you have to buy to watch??

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
For the US Sports audience, the rest of us will keep waiting!

That's up to ESPN

----------

Sec rocks! I get the channel already so again my Apple TV is useless ! Don't understand why you would rather use a delayed streaming source instead of just turning on cable and that's it! Still don't understand this ( I bought one to check it out) since you need cable in order to watch anything on Apple TV anyway??? Strange! Everything else you have to buy to watch??

Content owners make too much from cable tv so there will be no streaming box competition unless Apple/Google/Microsoft etc become cable tv providers themselves

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
There is getting to be a lot of hierarchy you have to sort through. AppleTV now would benefit from a top-level "search", where results from Netflix, PBS Kids, iTunes or whatever other channels you've activated show up.

"Oh, Curious George is not on Netflix. I guess I'll search all these other channels. Sit tight, screaming child."

kevo1011

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010

I'm the opposite. I can't get it on my tv but I can watch it live on atv3. I don't understand it. I have a HD xfinity box, and don't understand why I don't get it.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm the opposite. I can't get it on my tv but I can watch it live on atv3. I don't understand it. I have a HD xfinity box, and don't understand why I don't get it.
I don't have an Xfinity box, but I do use a Tivo Roamio on Comcast's network. My Roamio got a message very early this morning that the SEC Channel was added. The Roamio at my field office didn't have the channel until we rescanned the network. Try a rescan or refresh of your channels or reboot your box, Comcast might be pushing out updates in waves - just a thought. I logged into each account from a browser, both the SEC and Longhorn channels showed up online before they were in my Roamios.

kevo1011

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
I don't have an Xfinity box, but I do use a Tivo Roamio on Comcast's network. My Roamio got a message very early this morning that the SEC Channel was added. The Roamio at my field office didn't have the channel until we rescanned the network. Try a rescan or refresh of your channels or reboot your box, Comcast might be pushing out updates in waves - just a thought. I logged into each account from a browser, both the SEC and Longhorn channels showed up online before they were in my Roamios.

Will try. I know that calling customer service will be an ordeal.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I noticed the Longhorn Channel appeared today in my ATV app after I signed out and back in today, even though to me it's not a big get for me as the 'Horns haven't had a decent year in a while. This from a former Austinite who used to match up against Kenneth Sims in pickup hoops (which dates me just a bit...).

What's a bit odd to me is that I'm on Comcast, which does not have an agreement with the Longhorn Network

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Apparently not available for Time Warner Cable, even though we get the channel.

Any word on if this will be available for TW by the time the season starts? I've spoken to one csa but as usual they either don't understand or just keep saying it is available on cable.

Getting mixed info when googling on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.