Second Chance Offer.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bocheememon, May 3, 2006.

1. Bocheememon macrumors regular

Bocheememon

Ok, I bid on this item and was the second highest bidder. I've only purchased 1 item on ebay, so this second, chance offer doesn't make sense.
    Also, here is the bid with the user info and such.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWERBOOK-G4-1-67-15-HI-RES-D-L-PERFECT-SCREEN-
    MINT_W0QQitemZ9718215923QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then I got an e-mail from the person and a supposed e-mail from ebay.

Is this address real? eBay Invoice <aw-confirm@ebay.com> or

"safe_ebaycenter@yahoo.com" <safe_ebaycenter@yahoo.com>

Here is a picture of the email.
    [​IMG]

2. jpgoebel macrumors newbie

It is a scam. I had a similar circumstance with a laptop. The email you posted is full of grammatical errors. Ebay would not make those. I would report it to their fraud department to make sure.

3. Gee macrumors 65816

It's a scam. Steer well clear. I don't know why ebay allows those second chance things in the first place, because they always seem to be like this.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ebay never sends emails selling on behalf of a seller. "I'm from ebay and this guy is... " etc. Ironically, the only time they would send an email regarding another seller would be to inform you that the auction had been cancelled and the bids withdrawn (in the case where they shut an auction down for fraud).

A legitimate seller can send a Second Chance offer if the item doesn't sell to the top bidder, or if they have a second, identical item for sale. However this must be sent through eBay; therefore any legit SecondChance offer, you will be able to find in your My Messages section of My EBay. If you have an email that is not reflected in the list of My Messages, then it did not come through eBay and should be assumed to be a scam.

5. Bocheememon thread starter macrumors regular

Bocheememon

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I'll report it and disregard the e-mail.

I checked to see if the laptop was relisted again since it didn't meet reserve and it was!

^_^

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

A good rule of thumb is that Western Union = Scam

7. DMPDX macrumors 6502

If youre ever dealing with a site that you are transfering or dealiing with money on, make sure it sarts with "HTTPS:// Instead of just HTTP. It means it is a secure sight. Just something to keep in mind.;)
    -dsm

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

Here is a hint.. anything that says "loose money" is written by a moron, and it takes a bigger moron to fall for a scam that uses such english :D

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well and good; https:// may be secure but it is no guarantee that the site isn't a front - like the phony escrow sites.

SSL is one of the biggest jokes in security though -- it is only secure for the duration of the transmission from your browser to the server - so for like 1/2 a second, your transaction is secure. What happens then is anybody's guess. You know what some 'secure' order forms do? The then send your name and card number out as a completely unsecured email to the seller.

10. DMPDX macrumors 6502

I know, But thats the first thing to look for. Totally secure or not, Im not giving them my credit digits if its not a secure site. But Yeah, I know what youre talking about.