Second day using a Mac, I have some questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by x2cube, May 19, 2005.

1. x2cube macrumors newbie

1. I try to use the home and end keys in textboxes but they don't work... is there some way to enable them or is there another way to go the the beginning or end of a textbox?

2. If I'm in the Trash can I permanently highlighted files instead of emptying the whole trash?

3. In the Trash can I restore a file without dragging it to where it used to be?

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

1. It's probably working, but not the way you're used to. It usually works on the document level and not a text box. Home takes you to the top of a document, and end, well, to the end. Try Command + arrows to move to the beginning and end of lines (command is the "apple" button ;) )

2. Dunno.

3. Yes. Drag them wherever you want :)

[EDIT] 2. No. At least *I* can't find a way to do it. But why would you want to leave stuff in the Trash?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2. No. This is quite annoying!

3. No. (Yes they can be dragged anywhere but you can't just right click them and choose restore like you can in Windows). This might also be annoying!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS 9 has a Put Away feature that does exactly what you want. Apple should definitely reinstate this feature in Mac OS X - I found it very useful.

5. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to delete a file permanetly and skip putting it in the trash? In winows you go Shift+delete and it skips the trash (I think thats the shortcut - I havent used the PC much since I got my PB :)) I find that feature very handy in Windows because generally when I delete a file I never want to see it again.

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Just drag it to the trash, it will be gone, don't worry. ;)

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That does not do what he asked! If you don't mind using the Terminal rm removes a file without trashing it first. Just be carefull, there is no undo.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If I open the Trash and Cntrl-Click a file, I get a 'Delete Immediately' choice in the pop-up menu, which just deletes that file. This is a function of the best Trash utility I have found - Compost. Read a Macworld article here and enjoy the answer to all your Trash issues.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, I just figured out a kludgy way to get to the beginning/end of a text box in Safari. Hit shift-end, then right-arrow, or shift-home, then left-arrow. Better than nothing, I suppose!

10. x2cube thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, this forum is really helpful. whocares: alt+left/right arrow helped me out a lot, thank you :)

11. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Thanks blodwyn and robbieduncan. Answered my quesions!