Second Generation G5s

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by D0RSAL, May 11, 2005.

1. D0RSAL macrumors newbie

May 11, 2005
    I know of reliable sources in the hardware development community that have recently been given access to closed second generation G5 computers. Details are what is to be expected, however this is preliminary hardware. Most notably the computers had 970MP processors (2) running at 2.5GHz. The new U4H controller supports DDR-1 as well as DDR-2 memory, this machine included 4 DDR-2 slots, according to System Profiler. The controller also supports PCI Express, and this computer has 2 PCIe slots and 2 PCI-X slots running at 133MHz connected to a separate bridge chip. This bridge chip also connects to a newer K2.5(3) IO chip with minor updates, like support for SATA-1 & SATA-2 (even though this computer still had SATA-1 busses and drive), ATA/133, and 10Gb ethernet. USB, Firewire and Audio is similar in specifications to the current G5 configuration.

The case is a hacked G5 case modified to house the new motherboard and layout. There is a pad lock on the case in the back so there is no way to determine if there are any more drive bays than we currently have. However the power supply is in the same location, at the bottom.

This is all second hand information I cannot verify myself. It is what it is.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    its interesting and speculative...... thats about all i can say at this point, would be nice to see some of it coming out though, maybe a bit faster than 2.5 would be nice too ;) (since we are wishing anyways)
  3. wilmor42 macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2005

did your sources tell u if they were damn fast?