Second hand selling dilemma...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FleurDuMal, Jun 21, 2006.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Having just ordered my Macbook, I thought I better figure out some way to pay for it, so I decided to sell the dusty old hifi separates system that now serves as nothing more than a hangover from my hifi buff days.

Unfortunately, given that I no longer know anything about music systems, I put the whole lot in Loot newspaper (a UK classifieds listings) for £50, thinking that I'd be lucky to get just one offer.

Now of course the phones been ringing off the hook. Obviously I sold it to the first caller (phoned at 7am!), but then someone else has now phoned up saying what I'm selling is actually worth £120 and has offered me that much for it!

What do I do? Keep to my word and sell it for £50 to first caller, or sell it to the guy who phoned later and offered me £120? I could lose out on £70!!! Ack! :eek:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Yupp, since it seems you already told the first caller that s/he had it, you'd better keep your word.

If you hadn't promised anyone anything, you could've ended up in a bidding situation. But the lucky first one gets it.

Look at it as good karma. The buyer is thrilled, someday you'll get a great deal too. :)

4. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I guess this is why people use ebay these days...:rolleyes: .

I suppose you guys are right. If someone had told me I'd got a bargain, and then changed their minds, then I'd be furious. Plus it's technically illegal to retract on a firm offer.

However, losing £70 is a serious castration of my wallet :(

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How so? It's £70 you didn't have in the first place...

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I feel for you. :) But in relation to your original hopes, you should be happy. You thought you'd be lucky to get one offer. You got one right away, and are £50 richer.

Seriously, as dopey as it sounds, what goes around often comes around. Do the right thing, and I bet a great deal is around the corner for you, too. :cool:

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Mate... just sell it to the highest bidder... don't screw yourself over so someone can get a bargain.

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Why should he screw his integrity over? He already promised it to the first buyer, he didn't set it up as a bidding situation.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Look at it this way: You would have been perfectly happy with £50, and that's what you'll get. You really aren't loosing £70; you're gaining £50. :)

Sell it to the first caller.

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

If you need the money then sell it for the highest offer. Just tell the other person that you can't sell them the system now. It's your equipment and you are under no obligation to sell it for less than it's worth.

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Exactly right.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

He did, it was just in HiFi form before.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if your honest: sell it to the first dude

if you need the money: tell the first dude you just tested it and it's no longer working.

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

He can be both honest and get the money. Tell the guy, sorry, I've had a much higher offer nd i've decided to sell it for the much much larger amount. If you can match it then you can have it if not... zoiks

15. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Bingo! Got to agree with that approach. That is so the way to go.

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I agree wholeheartedly.

17. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Even if he already told the first person to call, that it was theirs? Hmmm...So you think he should basically just say, "Sorry, my word means nothing, although I told you it was a done deal, someone else called afterwards and offered me more, so I'm backing out of the deal I made with you"?

I'm sure it's possible to do that, but it's a pretty rotten thing to do. It's the kind of thing that gets people bad feedback on sites that offer feedback on sellers.

18. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    This isn't a moral contest, you screwed up and agreed to take less money

Admit your mistake to the first buyer, and tell him the truth, if he is willing to pay that much then sell it to him....

if he's not, then sell it to the next guy.

It's not about integrity, it's about an error. Admit the error, and get what the Hi Fi system is worth.

19. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It is about integrity. The OP didn't check out what his hifi was worth, put it out there with a price tag, agreed to sell to the first caller. Integrity = keep your word.

I think the OP posted here because he knew what the right thing to do was, but he wanted someone to convince him it was ok to back out of an agreement he'd made with a buyer.

But in the end, people do what they want, and they use excuses like quigleybc's reasoning to justify what they do.

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm in agreement with the first round of commentators. You already promised it to someone for a specific amount. Its up to them to back out.