Second Life on a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Maleficum, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Maleficum macrumors member

Does anyone here with a 512MB (and the other specs that I'm a bit too tired to list) MacBook play Second Life on their machine? If so, how does it run? I have been running it on my eMac here and it is abnormally slow.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I am. However, it's not your computer – Abulia (another poster) has a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro with an x1900 XT and it doesn't run well on his rig. It depends more on your internet connection.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I've run on both my Mac Pro and MacBook and it runs like crap on both.

The MacBook is MUCH worse. Also, SL is very network-dependent; even with a monster rig like mine, unless you're sitting on a great high-speed network connection it takes a loooooooong time to download textures and such when you enter an area.

At this point I've nearly cancelled my SL account. Just not work it (IMO).

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Somehow I knew if I said your name you would appear… :p

But yeah, I deleted the game from my hard drive because it ran sooo stinking slow, and I have better things to do with my time.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

lol! :)

You know, I was hoping there was some magic setting in SL that fixed everything and the screw up was on my end. But after speaking with a friend of mine at work who is a SL addict/expert and also owns several Macs I found out that SL's problems aren't related to the Mac. It's just a poorly-designed platform.

Couple that with the lack of documentation, a steep learning curve, an archaic interface that you can't customize much, etc, I just decided SL wasn't worth it for me.

Perhaps, someday, when they rewrite the client code I'll give it a try again.