Second Life Opinions

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey Guys
    I was thinking of playing second life. I seems like a fun open ended MMORPG. The monthly fee also isnt to expensive. Has anyone here played it and can give me an opinion, good things and bad things about this game? Also how will it run in the ibook in my signature?
    Thanks,
    Patmian212

2. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I run it on my Mac Mini so similar spec and its "playable" but runs much better on my XP machine.

Its a good game actually, I'm still on the free account as I don't want to own any land or build stuff just yet as there is so much to see anyway. But yes its quite good fun, lots of things to see and do. My advice though, spend plenty of time in the welcome area learning how to do things. The mentors there are really helpful and helped me out no end.

If you get on look me up. My SL name is Monopot Schnook.

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I know membership isnt free but do I have to buy this game or download it for free? I cant find a place to download it on their site.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Basic membership is free - this allows you to explore the world, but you can't buy your own land. The game is also free to download - I got mine from the Apple website, but I think if you register on the secondlife website, one of the stages is downloading the game.

As everything is free I would give it a go.

5. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

As Kernow said, Basic Membership is free which is perfect for just casual playing around which is what i do. Go to the Second Life website and do the "Basic Membership is Free" link on the left hand side of the homepage and go thru the registration process. Once you've done this and picked your SL name you can download the game.

Have fun!

6. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Well I picked it up, my name is patmian gasparini if anyone wants to know but I can say 1 thing I am very dissapointed! On my ibook with EVERYTHING on lowest I only get about 13 FPS and the game is only 80MB, anybody have any tips on improving ym FPS?

7. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I ran some more tests and instead of 13FPS on everything on low I notice I get more like 6-12 FPS.

Min Specs for second life:
    Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8 or better
    Computer Processor: 1 GHz G4 or better
    Computer Memory: 512MB or better
    Video/Graphics Card(*2): nVidia GeForce 2, GeForce 4mx, or better
    OR ATI Radeon 8500, 9250, or better

Recomended:
    Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.3 or better
    Computer Processor: 1.25 GHz G4 or better
    Computer Memory: 768MB or better
    Video/Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5600, GeForce 6600, or better
    OR ATI Radeon 9600, X600, or better

I Have:
    Broadband 512k/128(reached)
    OS X 10.4.5
    1.2Ghz G4(Passed the minimum and 50mhz under recomended)
    768MB Ram(Recomended amount reached)
    ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 32MB(minimum reached)

I would think my ibook could run this game decently with the detail level lower but what gives! I reached recomended levels on 2/3 requirements and reached the minimum on 1. I woul like to see how it runs on the bare minimum specs, must run like ASS! Anyone know what could be causing the slowdown? No Im not downloading, I use adium on the same network(different PC) so I doubt bandwidth is the issue.

I can run WoW semi-decently but not this! All I can say is linden labs must be on crack!

/rant

8. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Dunno. I got a bog standard Mac Mini 1.42ghz, 32mb vram and 512mb RAM and its runs okish. think i was getting 20fps without changing anything.

I tend to run it on my XP box though as it has a fairly beefy craphics card so my games tend to get bunged on there, but on the Mac I didn't think it was that bad.