Second Life: Who plays it and how do I get started?

Discussion in 'Games' started by lmalave, Nov 3, 2006.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

So I created a Second Life character (Leonardo Prospero is my SL name for anyone who's interested). I'm having a tough time getting started and documentation seems awfully scarce. So I figure I'll post a few questions here:

1) What's a good source for documentation? Is there anything like a Quick Start Guide on the web anywhere? I Googled it but couldn't come up with anything that useful.

2) How can I make the OS X Second Life client run better on my MacBook? I mean, World of Warcraft runs 10x better on my MacBook, and Second Life does *not* look like it's very graphically intensive. Is Second Life also this laggy on a PC anyway? Or is it just that not as much effort has been put into optimizing the Mac client so performance is not still up to par?

3) total n00b question: how do I change my appearance beyond the default "Appearance" editor? For example, I did not choose a Furry character to begin with, but now I think being Furry would be cool. Or how about Feathery?? Wings would be cool. So how do I go about getting accessories like that? My n00b understanding is that pointy ears, tails, etc. are really just like articles of clothing in Second Life. Is that the case?

4) Flying with the Mac interface. So is it that the Page Up/Page Down and E/C don't work on the Mac client? Is that why there's a "Fly" button? In general, is there any documentation anywhere on what does/doesn't work on the Mac client? All the documentation is PC-centric, I guess (what little documentation there is

5) Creating/scripting objects in Second Life. Ok, so this is definitely the part I'm most excited about. I'm a Java programmer with 10 years experience and I want to put my hard-earned programming skills to use to create funky cool stuff for Second Life. Is there anything like a Quick Start guide for Linden Script? Which also leads me to...

6) So I haven't walked around to explore but it seems like there are already amazingly inventive inventions within Second Life, including eleaborate games-within-a-game, a working ski slope with lifts, etc. It's somewhat intimidating - I feel like on the one hand the opportunities are limitless on Second Life, but on the other hand a lot of the cooler ideas have already been implemented. For experienced Second Lifers: do you also get the sense that most of the cool ideas have already been done?

7) Are there any Mac groups in Second Life? I'm assuming there must be at least a few.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!!!

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

If you find any good SL documentation let me know. SL has a learning curve that's like a learning CLIFF. You learn everything through trial and error, it seems. I hate the interface and I can't find anyway to remap keys, for example.

Also, yes, the client runs like a DOG. On my monster rig (see below) it barely runs acceptable.

I have some fun fooling around in SL as a social experiment but this thing isn't Mac friendly by a long shot.

Wish I could help you out but I'm in the same boat as you.

3. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

What's your "social experiment"? It does seem like Second Life is a big social and economic experiment. But it also seems like a lot of different organizations/structures are already being tried. Personally, I'm more interested in the creative aspect of it: being able to create a scriptable "virtual" object whose behavior is largely limited only by your imagination....

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I started a SL character just to check it out as well. Toast Randwick.

1) I'm not aware of much documention, per se. I did pull some notecards from the introductory island that I still have with me. I know that there are several places, kinda like free community colleges within SL where they hold classes and you can learn how to create objects, script, etc. It really is more of a social experiment than game.

2) The thing that is limiting in SL is your internet connection. Everything you see has to be downloaded. Then again, I always have to reboot after I exit SL because it borks my machine. Yeah, the client is pretty rough on resources.

3) I'm too newb to know the answer to that. My guess is you have to create the objects using the editor and then wear them. You might also be able to buy the stuff, but I don't know where. My explorations have so far been limited.

4) I fly using wasd + ec. If you're standing in an open area, hold down "e" and you'll rise into the air. Hold "c" to come back down. While you're flying, wasd work normally.

5) See #1. I saw advertisments for classes on posters in the teleport terminal.

6) I think SL is just about as unlimited as RL. Making money off of things is more difficcult, though. If you open a water park, are you gonna get people to pay to enter? Maybe, I dunno. But if you have an idea, run with it.

7) Dunno. We could certainly start one :)

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

You can visit my blog (link in sig) for some articles that go into more detail. Warning: They (the articles) are graphic and contain adult content.
    I will give SL this: it is full of creativity. I am constantly amazed by some of the scripting and building that I see going on.

Now if only it could be harnessed for the power of good... ;)

6. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Let's do it! ;)

Oh, snap!! Think of the virtual headquarters the group could have!!! I'm thing Apple Store / 5th Ave Cube for inspiration ;)

7. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Heh, I think there will already be some good. Ideas, especially artistic ones, can be tried out in SL and it will cross-pollinate to the "First Life".

Beyond that, it's worth remembering that everyone on Second Life also has a First Life, so ideas, wether they be political, economic, artistic, social, etc. *can* have an impact. Not to mention, *real* money can also flow to the First Life for real causes (I think the daily transaction volume is up to $600K now).

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I registered today as Daveed Hathaway. I know a little about it, but now much. It crashes on me every hour or so which is aggravating. Ugh. But I like the scheme of things.

Is there a MacRumors group?

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Whoa. I have enough financial problems in my first life to go in debt in a second one.

Sounds like a neat concept but I feel that if something hasn't gone horribly awry yet it will soon enough.

"Tonight at 11: Second Life Player 'Cymdeithas Madog' has been caught in the biggest online scandal involving millions of U.S. dollars stolen from an online, life simulation game and has received the minimum 3 consecutive life terms for his crimes.

And later, a highly deadly chemical that can kill you and your family instantly. What is it and how should you avoid it? Find out - tonight at 11."

Tangent: Man I hate the local news....

10. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Im not registered yet because im on dialup.

Ive read in a magazine that there is a mac group in it with over 1000 members.

The following website has lots of info:
    http://www.sluniverse.com

Anyone try the windows or linux version via bootcamp?

11. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

just found out about SL... reminds me of the sims 2...

here is an article that discusses how to "maximize your experience in the virtual world" on a mac.

12. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey I also just signed up for second life, seemed like a fun idea but I have no idea what I'm doing either lol

13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Honestly I can't help you too much here. I learned by trail and error I guess. Plus... instructions are for wimps! :p

You should be able to change the settings at the logon screen. Some areas run like crap, others are fine. Each square area is called a Sim and is a different computer I believe. It very much depends on how much you can see in front of you and how many people are around and how many scripts are running in a given area. Lots of variables to take into account.

There are several shops in Second Life. The majority of the people in the game have what is known as "prim hair" which is hair created with blocks. Also many people wear "prim shoes" simply because they look better. Females often wear "prim skirts" as the appearance editor skirts bulge out a lot and make them look weird. Otherwise clothes are just textures on the normal clothes instead of just using a single color. There are photoshop templates to help you make clothes but from what I read it's very difficult for non-artist types. At least for them to look "good".

Male clothes are available but female clothes are a lot more abundant. From the interviews with fashion designers I've read, female clothes are in general more profitable as females tend to own a closet full of outfits whereas males tend to own just a single outfit and wear that all the time. You can find clothing stores in the search section. Any outfit 200 - 300 Linden is average in price for clothes.

Your shape and skin matter a decent amount too. It's the base of you. If your shape looks odd the clothes generally won't help. Shapes and skins can be purchased around the world. They tend to be pricier for good ones but you can get some decent ones here and there. Try searching for "noob" in the places search tab. Generally these places sell items for 1 Linden or so for players less than 30 days old.

For non-human type avatars you're looking at prim attachments. Similar to how prim hair, shoes, and skirts are made out of blocks, often times non-human avatars are made out of blocks and then attached to various body regions. Unless you're good with this stuff it's easier to just purchase one from a vendor although these can be quite pricey.

Flying... press F to start Flying and F again to stop (I think those are the keys). E and C will then move you up and down with WASD moving you in the normal directions.

Search in the places or events tab for "education" or "university". Often times classes are held teaching for free (tip if you wish) how to do some basic things. LSL is the abbreviation for Linden Scripting Language and I believe there is a Wiki out there for the language. It's not too bad once you get into it. I'm not good at it but the little I dabbled with it made me think it was doable.

I haven't been in the game a long time but I got that feeling at first too. But then somebody comes up with something new and you keep getting amazed. Just like in real life where you might think everything has already been tackled... it's just not true.

There are! Go to the search tool and click on the groups tab and search for Mac. I can't name any off the top of my head but I know there are some.

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I just signed up as well. My name is Baltar Laval.