Second Monitor, any monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by bogiesan, Jan 8, 2002.

1. bogiesan macrumors newbie

I really wnat on e fo these new things on my desk at work. But I really need two displays to do my job. One of them can be a low rez CRT, doesn't matter, it only has to hold tools for various applications.
    Is it possible to add a second monitor via FireWire or USB to the new iMac? Any third party mfrs like Griffin making a funky device that will do this? Seems to me the new iMac's graphics card has the muscle to drive two monitors, even if they are at reduced rez or lower color spaces.

david bogie, video guy
    Boise ID

2. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

3. ob macrumors newbie

Mirroring only

Second monitor but with video mirroring only.

Why would you mirror a 15" LCD monitor anyways?

4. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

good point. especially considering all apples displays still require A D C. Would have been nice to throw an ADC connector back there. Or atleast on the Pro models.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It's an iMac........

There IS NO pro model. Pro model iMac=G4 tower. Has anyone split this out for you?

iMac is the home Desktop machine, iBook is the home Portable, The Tower is the Pro desktop and the TiBook is the Pro portable.

If you DON'T need sick amounts of RAM, multiple monitors, multiple internal HD's, PCI slots or ADC than you can probably get away with an iMac or iBook. Otherwise, buy a tower.

6. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

thank you. i am very aware of the consumer/pro line up. What I meant was the Pro (G4 Tower) needs a video card with support for 2 ADC displays, being that is the only display apple makes.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

multiple ADC

You can BTO with more than one card. to build without VGA just to get two ADC's on the same card would take us back to the days of the "apple monitor plug" problem.Better to have a VGA connector available on the default card. If you want two ADC's from the one card, get the dual nVidia and use an adapter.

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

only problem is...

that the addaptor costs like $50.00. And the dual card with one VGA/ ADO and support for 2 monitors at same time costs $100.00 more than the one that supports only one monitor. It might be cheeper just to get an extra ADO PCI vid card and probably get better proformance out of it too.

9. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: only problem is...

I think the real issue with having 2 ADC lies in the beautiful but complex nature of the port.

If you ship cards with 2 ADC ports you need to have AGP ports that can supply twice as much power and USB through the motherboard. If you want a second card that supports ADC, either all the PCI slots must support extra power and USB or more AGP slots would have to be added which, obviously, takes from maxium number of PCI slots.

ADC - FANTASTIC and WONDERFUL idea, a pain in the arse in reality.... I still like to show it off.

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

agreed

ADO... is great... but it can be a pain with all the adapers and stuff. When I was shopping for my Mac, I was considering getting 2 LCD's... i was looking at all the options. I just went for on '17 Apple LCD insted. It would be nice to have 2... but thats a lot of cash to make it work. And like you said... I wonder about if a PCI card could even do it.

11. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: agreed

Yeah, well, as they say, if there's a will there's a way. Someone on another thread was suggesting that the new rev of the G3 chips from IBM could actually Multi-process which goes to show that if they REALLY want something to work they can work out a way. In this matter, though, who would want to pay the price for all slots being ADC ready when most of us are QUITE happy with only one graphics card?!

I just wish I could afford one of those lovely 22" monitors..... maybe WHEN (;)) they replace the 22" with a bigger monitor I can get one cheap. LOL

For now, though, I LOVE my 17" and it makes SO many people jealous. The main comments I get, though, revolve around whether it would work on a PC. Unfortunately, since I have only ever seen an adaptor to DVI around here, I have to turn down a lot of VGA users.

12. Unregistered Guest

Here's a nice (and fairly cheap solution) for dual display action:

http://www.clubmac.com/profiles/itemdy07.asp?UID=2002011020401470&T1=A143+1125

ATI RADEON VE MAC EDITION 32MB DUAL MON.

$ 129.00
    Item # : A143 1125
    In Stock: No, call 800-217-9153
    for availability.
    Quantity :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping first quarter of 2002
    Experience exceptional 3D graphics performance, at a value price. The RADEON? VE MAC EDITION includes 32MB of DDR memory for fast 32-bit true color 3D graphics. Includes flexible dual-display support for multiple combinations of CRT monitors, TVs and video devices. The RADEON? VE MAC EDITION - setting new standards for visual excellence.

Overview:

Flexible dual-display support enabling any combination of VGA, DVI and TV