Second monitor for MacBook - Multifuntional Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Elrond39, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

I'm looking at getting myself a secondary monitor for my MacBook (something with a bit more punch for video-viewing and photo-editing... not to mention more screen real-estate), and while I was scouring the internet, I came across so-called multifunctional monitors. Seems to be an ideal solution: my EyeTV EZ is great, but the EyeTV subscription will run out before too long, and I don't want to spend 100 Euro a year for TV access. So, an LCD TV or a multifunctional monitor seem the way to go. LCD TVs are rather expensive, though, particularly if you want a widescreen 20" (±) one. The Samsung LN-S2352W is particularly nice, but too expensive for my budget. So, the question is, does anyone have good experiences (or bad ones, for that matter) with the Samsung 940MW that they could share with me? It seems to be a good fit, in terms of budget and features, but I'd like to know what other people think before I go out and get one.

Another question, this time about the MacBook itself. With a secondary monitor, it is possible to "span" correct? Rather than just mirroring the MacBook display, I mean. Also, I would need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, I assume. (In addition to a DVI-DVI cable, apparently it's not included :eek: )

Thanks, in advance, to the helpful people!

2. LastLine macrumors 65816

Yep. Spanning's possible :) Doing it now as it happens. ER on one Screen. MR on the laptop.

3. Elrond39 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any experiences with the 940MW that they'd like to share? Or should I take this as a sign that it's not popular.... :rolleyes:

4. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

maybe you should expand this "poll" with: what monitors work well with the macbook and are not too expensive? :)

5. Elrond39 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure. Works for me, if you have some advice you'd like to share. :)
    Mainly I'm interested in the multifunctional aspect, though, because I'm really looking to minimize clutter, and not spend too much.