Second monitor option with the imac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JW8725, Feb 28, 2006.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Well I was let down with the graphics on the new Intel Mac mini and have decided to buy the 20" iMac instead. However I have a 40" LCD screen which I had initially decided to pair with the mini. Well I've changed my mind about the mini totally and and I'm concentrating on the imac.

Can I do the following (sorry if its a stupidly simple question, been away from Tiger since Nov, I've forgotten how the Apple OS works):

Use the imac to surf net on my computer desk. Then connect my 40" LCD via DVI for the times I just wanna lay in bed next to my lady and surf the net. I want both windows to work independantly so the other half can browse some ladies site while I gander about some apple site (yes I know theres only 1 keyboard and mouse, suppose we'll take turns I guess)

Does OS Tiger on the iMac allow this? Also does using the mini DVI adapter hinder the quality of DVI output?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes you can do that with an iMac. The Intel ones support both Spanning (which is what you want) and Mirroring (where both screens show the same).

The mini-DVI port is just the same (and as good) as a full size one. Quality is the same.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep :) I have a 20" with an extra 20" Dell 2005FPW on my desk in my bedroom, and when I'm lazy I plug the extra dvi into my projector and watch films, surf the net on a massive screen. Great for movies as the imac now supports 5.1 optical...

4. nosser macrumors regular

yup works perfectly! I have a dell 20" with my 17" intel imac