second monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sk3pt1c, Oct 12, 2006.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i recently got a tft-lcd 26" sony bravia tv and i want to use it as a second monitor for my video editing and for watching movies off my mac and stuff.
    it works fine on final cut pro as an external monitor but i want to have the audio go through as well.i connected it using the jack on the right nearest the laptop monitor(17" powerbook)-dunno what it's called.i take it that doesn't send audio through as well, does it?

also, i'd like to know if there is any way of making windows go to full screen when they are on the tv monitor. for example, if i drag a quicktime window over and hit apple-F for fullscreen (eg. for a movie), it goes fullscreen on the laptop so i have to make it as big as possible and keep moving the mouse so it doesn't pop the screensaver up

any ideas?
    am i making sense? :)
    thanks

2. abrooks macrumors 6502a

I'm not very sure about this audio thing, the PowerBook can output sound via its line out but whether the TV can take a line in to replace its sound is another matter altogether.

Luckily I can solve the problem of playing movies, you have two options. Either set the TV as your primary monitor by switching the screens around in the Display panel or se the TV to mirror your PowerBook, which can also be achieved in the Display system preferences panel.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

yeah,but if i mirror the screens then the resolution on my powerbook will drop to whatever the tv displays...
    hmmm
    thanks for the tip nevertheless

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually, unlike Front Row, QT has a preference item for where the video should go full screen. I routinely watch HD trailers piping then full screen to my HDTV while keeping the internal display as primary.

I don't have a good solution for the audio since that is one reason I intend to replace the VGA cable between my HDTV and iMac with an iTV & ethernet cable once they come out.

B

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

****, i just saw that in the quicktime preferences
    nice one
    thanks man