Secondary monitor colour is way out.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stev1212, Apr 24, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys, bought a LG e2351 as a secondary monitor for my imac and after using display calibrator assistant the colours on the LG still don't look anywhere near as good as the Imac's. Is there anything i can do to match the contrast and colours up perfectly between the displays? The LG should (theoretically) cream the imacs built in monitor but honestly it looks crud next to the imacs!

2. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Buy a monitor calibrator from either Xrite or Datacolor. This should help. However it is not always possible to get 2 different branded monitors exactly the same as it will depend on the specification.

3. simsaladimbamba

What exact iMac do you have, because the 21.5" and 27" iMacs have an IPS panel, which has much better colour reproduction than a TN panel, which is used in the LG display you bought?

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

21.5" late 2009 imac. The LG is an LED type.

5. simsaladimbamba

LED is the backlight, which consumes less power, needs less time to warm up and gives a more even backlight. The actual display panel is the one that counts and is important for colour representation. TN panels are okay, IPS panels are just better, thus they are also more expensive.

Look here for more detailed info: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/52516-29-need-understand-panels-types-help

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that IPS just gave better viewing angles and not better color representation.

7. simsaladimbamba

It gives both, especially with S-IPS panels. A TN panel is a cheap one, the Mac you have has an IPS panel, which is more expensive and you can't really align the two.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well now i feel like getting rid of the thing haha. For £40 more i could of got an IPS monitor!