secondhand iBook help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TGM85, Aug 11, 2006.

1. TGM85 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm looking to buy a secondhand iBook for university. I already have an iMac so an iBook will suffice for my needs: I'm only going to use it to take notes during class and to write papers. So please don't tell me to get a macbook, I don't need it and to be honest: I can't afford it :eek:

Now my question: should I look out for a G3 or G4 iBook ? I've heard that the G4's have a lot of logic board problems, could anyone verify this ? Since the main thing it's going to do is wordprocessing it doesn't really matter if it's a G3 or G4 (as long as it can run Office v.X or 2004) but I would like some information about those logic board issues if anyone could please enlighten me... I'd hate to buy a G4 iBook and have it break down a few weeks later.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. dex22 macrumors regular

late iBook G3s of the 800 and 900MHz variety had a lot of logic board problems involving video. Apple has been running an extended logicboard repair program, but most coverage has now expired. Symptoms include flashing, corrupt or no video, but the machine otherwise running fine.

The G4 iBooks gain G4 processors (no d'uh!) and slot-loading drives.

For simple text editing, there's nothing in a G4 to make it faster than a G3 in most cases.

An 800 or 900MHz G3 or any G4 will do what you want. Expect to pay $300-$400 for a G3, and upwards of there for a G4.

3. TGM85 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's the G3's that had the logic board failures ? Good to know that, thanks!

4. TGM85 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've used G3 and G4 iBooks and I wouldn't want to use a G3 one full time. Its just too slow and the graphics aren't great. I haven't used 800/900Mhz models though, only the 500 & 600Mhz G3s and 1Ghz and 1.2Ghz G4s. In general the G4 models are look nicer too imo (keyboard, screen hinge, slot loading drive).
    I'm now switching from a larger Dell laptop to using a G4 1Ghz model when I was originally planning on getting a more powerful MacBook Pro.
    The only thing I'd like to have on this G4 is a built in iSight like the MacBooks!

6. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

for some great info check here: www.macintouch.com and look under Laptop Reliability. it's a great site, should help you with your purchase. good luck.

7. TGM85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks! What a great site with lots of useful information! :)

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

I have an 800mHz iBook G3 and it is a realitivly capable computer, fine for what you are using it for. Mine has never had a logic board problem, but I have heard that many have, so it is a bit of a risk. Only thing i suggest is to get more RAM, mine has 256 and it still lags if i have more than iTunes/Firefox/Word running at that time (at best) so dont go with any less than that.

9. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

If its just for writing and simple note taking. Then a 500mhz G3 will be good, they should be reasonably priced seeing as there are tons of them for sale at any giving time, also the clamshell ibooks are ok and also cheap

10. prodigiousfool macrumors newbie

ibook 900 mhz

Coming in a little late into this thread, but i have an ibook g3 900 (see signature) and while i am looking to get a powerbook g4, that only for purely cosmetic reasons. I love my little 12" ibook, there is nothing that i can't do on it.

Speaking only from personal experince, i haven't had any problems with the video or logic board on mine, it's worked great from day one.

Just thought i'd put my opinion out there