Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With permission from Apple, senior software engineer Greg Christie recently spoke with The Wall Street Journal about the development of the original iPhone, disclosing some details ahead of a new patent trial involving Samsung. The original article focused on the iPhone's software features, while a follow-up report highlights the environment and hardware that was used in this software development process.

apple-iphone-room.jpg
Apple's hardware setup for testing early prototype iPhone software
According to Christie, design decisions on early versions of Apple's iPhone OS were made in a drab, windowless room with Mac hardware running the software and a large touchscreen device, "Wallaby", simulating the screen of the mobile device. The room is also where Christie met with Steve Jobs to present the iPhone team's work.
It doesn't mean that the windowless room, lit by fluorescent lights hanging from the ceiling, looked like anything special. Christie recalled the walls had signs of water damage from a flood in an adjacent bathroom. A few images covered the walls including one of Apple's "Think Different" posters of famous graphic designer Paul Rand and another of a large chicken running around without its head.
These details on the development of the iPhone were released in advance of a second U.S. patent infringement trial between Apple and Samsung that is set to begin March 31. Apple prevailed in the first trial and was awarded a judgement of $890 million. This upcoming trial targets more recent products such the Galaxy Note II, the Galaxy S III, the iPhone 5, and the iPad 4.

Article Link: Inside the Room Where Apple Developed the Original iPhone Software

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
It's amazing to see the humble beginnings of the OS that revolutionized the mobile industry.

jshulman10

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Would love to see the evolution from that to the first version of IOS. Crazy what its become.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Strange, the G3 would suggest that this was happening in the early 2000s but then the iPhone prototype hooked up to the machine looks a heck of a lot like an iPhone 4. So maybe Apple has the iPhone 8 in the works right now?

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Right... so why do I see an iphone 4 on the table then? :)

I might be wrong, but I think I remember seeing drawings/designs of the original iPhone looking like the iPhone 4?

Surely if someone was to stage this picture they wouldn't be so careless as to leave an iPhone 4 there?

Still weird though.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Strange, the G3 would suggest that this was happening in the early 2000s but then the iPhone prototype hooked up to the machine looks a heck of a lot like an iPhone 4. So maybe Apple has the iPhone 8 in the works right now?

They hooked it up to an outdated Mac so it could simulate the slower speeds of the phone's hardware, and this was apparently in 2006. Not sure why the Macrumors article doesn't mention that, but oh well!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I'm wondering if that's the "touch screen" that's mentioned. It might look like an iPhone but act more like a simple trackpad.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. At first I thought it looked like an iPhone 4 but it seems much thicker. It seems like basically a very early prototype iPod with touch display.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
Lol, were they using that power supply at apple, a multi-hundred-billion-dollar company? Lol... I would expect something more classy like Agilent or keithley. I have the same one, it's a PS-305D, it's a no name brand, it's cheap, but good enough for most of us.

pierino84

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Rome, Italy
The handset is connected to what appears to be a development board for the baseband, which is connected to the white box. That one is connected to the G3. The black stick in the bottom right seems like a pair of speakers.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I might be wrong, but I think I remember seeing drawings/designs of the original iPhone looking like the iPhone 4?

Surely if someone was to stage this picture they wouldn't be so careless as to leave an iPhone 4 there?

Still weird though.

The 'purple' prototype from 2005 looks like a white iPhone 4. Not sure if that was ever built into a physical prototype. But from all the books I've read, Steve didn't allow the software guys to see the hardware design and vice versa. Allegedly Ive secretly had two software guys mock something up for his team. He was the only one on his team who was allowed to know what the software UI looked like.

apple_iphone_purple_1-580x421.jpg

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
The inspiration for the original iPhone: a large chicken running around without its head. You can't make this stuff up, people.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Lol, were they using that power supply at apple, a multi-hundred-billion-dollar company? Lol... I would expect something more classy like Agilent or keithley. I have the same one, it's a PS-305D, it's a no name brand, it's cheap, but good enough for most of us.

Why would they waste the money on an expensive power supply when they can just buy a cheaper one that works just as well for what they are using it for?

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
The handset is connected to what appears to be a development board for the baseband, which is connected to the white box. That one is connected to the G3. The black stick in the bottom right seems like a pair of speakers.

I think that's the microphone.

----------

I did a double take when I looked at the picture. The two speakers looked like bongs :p

Altecs with their subwoofer in between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.