Secretly Favorite

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xy14, Mar 11, 2005.

1. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

When you're alone, which music do you listen to when you don't listen to it in public?

My favorites are:
    The Dresden Dolls (THE best people ever) , and U2.

In case you were wondering, yes, I am gay.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

errr.... i wasn't aware that people were embarrassed enough by their own tastes that they sought to hide them.

are there lots of people like this?

3. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Only my wife knows that I frequently listen to the original Rex Harrison/Julie Andrews version of My Fair Lady...

4. walkerIV macrumors member

I tried to listen to my russian music collection at work in Canada while back. People kept asking why do they sound so angry, while to me they weren't. Now I try not to listen to them with others around, so not to be known as the grumpy type.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm proud of all the music I listen to, which is quite the variety - I don't really care what other people think, so I'l play whatever I want, whenever I feel like it, any time! Can't say I'm embarrassed of any of my music... :cool:

6. gMac macrumors member

I'm not embarrassed about my musical tastes, but I know most people might not care for what I like, so I usually don't play those artists while others are present. I also don't serve liver and onions or haggis at a dinner party. It's just a matter of respect. ;)

That said, some of the artists that I listen to who might not be popular with many are: Gordon Lightfoot, The Cars, Warren Zevon, The Talking Heads, The Hollies, The Police, and Lyle Lovett, to name a few.

And yes, I am an Old Fart! :D

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have
    people think they don't care what people think. ;)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I listen to some music that heaps of people I know find offensive because it's not mainstream - it's Arabic. Once, when I was listening to it in public, someone came up to me and asked if I was going to run into a crowd with a bomb strapped to my chest! :eek:

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if i listen in private i also listen to in in public...but i would never play some of the hip hop and rap stuff or rock stuff at a family fucntions with older relatives and babies hehe

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

ELO and Turkish - at work they don't understand either.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Steely Dan... my occasional guilty pleasures. :eek:

(Shouldn't this be in the music forum?)

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Although there are some songs I'm a bit embarresed about liking, I'm still able and willing to play whatever's in my iTunes library to whoever wants (or are accidently forced) to listen... ;)

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And then there are people who attempt to come up with witty quips to try and make themselves sound philosophical when in fact they just spewing nonsense. :p ;)

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

music i'm pretty much open, no secrets to my love of angry, angry punk rock women.

As for tv tho, my secret is charmed. We all have a shameful pop culture something.

15. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

haha, so true

yeah I had some music in my library that was kinda emo'ish, my girlfriend ,at the time, went on my comp and found some of it, and even worse, I did a I love the 90's spoof for a class, so I had all kinds of stuff (from hanson to backstreet) in my library, she didn't believe me that I didn't listen to it. errrrr.... still my most embarrassing moment with a girl yet. just glad she didn't tell my firends (or I hope she didn't). I deleted about a 1000 songs after that, some i regret deleting.

16. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Dolly

I'll admit it - Dolly Parton is my guilty pleasure. She's the one good memory from my childhood. Sometimes the internal beauty of the person behind the beautiful voice is more important than the music itself. All of my old tapes have been recorded to my Mac, to CD, back to iTunes (once I went to OSX), but none of them made it into my "Work" playlis, except The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, which is just too fun to avoid during the work day. :)

17. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

Funny you think those artists would be unpopular with many - I like all of them! I haven't delved too deep into G. Lightfoot, but who could have anything against "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or "Sundown"?

18. brap macrumors 68000

Hm.

I usually shield my girlfriend's delicate ears from ICP and MC Chris. Other than that, no. My housemates think I'm some kind of... well, yeah. I don't hide my tastes from anyone, in any facet of life.

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yeah... me too. And Fiddler on the Roof.

God I love musicals. That's why I try to avoid them. Last thing I need is _another_ musical to love.

20. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

As an accordion player, I've developed a pretty thick skin when it comes to criticism of my musical tastes. :cool: I'm always surprised at how many people share my love for a tragically "uncool" song or artist that I might be listening to. Just last week, I was rocking out to The Final Countdown in my office, and by the end of the song four people had come in to listen. I ended up burning a cd for each of them.

Celebrate your secret shame!

PS - The original cast recording of Fiddler on the Roof is one of the best Broadway albums ever.

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

For me I'd have to say Kelly Clarkson, it's my guilty pleasure.

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

:eek: Listening to it now! Freaky! I know HEAPS of people who LOVE this song. I've never even thought of pretending to be embarrassed about liking this one - even if it sounds like it was made before I was born... :D