Secretly turning off the green light on the inbuilt camera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael Baker, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Michael Baker
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but is there any way (hackers, for instance) to turn off that little green light that lets you know the inbuilt camera is running on a MacBook Pro?

Are there any apps that can allow the camera and audio to run without the user knowing about it (much the same way a keylogger program can run without the operator's knowledge)?

Am I being paranoid by covering the camera with a band-aid? It feels weird having a camera staring at me all the time.

2. EricNau
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, the green light must remain on when the camera is activated. Unless of course the light is broken.

3. claimed4all
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I remember a post on here about a guy that cut a perfect square of plastic and covered it up, he had pics and you could hardly notice. Its a thought.

4. alexbates
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

alexbates

Yeah, thats a good idea. Or you could just Use a Black sharpie, silver sharpie, or white out depending on what color MacBook you have.

5. creator2456
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

creator2456

If you go this route, it is then possible to reverse with some rubbing alcohol as it will remove the sharpie.

6. brand
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

brand

I like the idea of just using a 1/2" drill bit to drill out the camera. Though it is a bit more permanent. :eek:

7. sn00pie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Yeah, I wouldn't mind covering mine. I don't think I've ever used it since I've owned my Macbook!