Secrets to a good ebay auction?

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Apr 9, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I'm tying to sell a Dell Laptop on ebay but it hasn't gotten any bids. :(
    Am I doing anything wrong? This is the first time I have sold anything over $50. I was told that a lot of people are turned away by a reserve, but I don't want to sell it for under $500. It was weird the first time I had this up for bid I got a bid in under 5 hours. But stupidly I spelled "Inspiron" wrong in the title, so when searched for it wouldn't show up. So I relested with the revised title but same preffs and description. Well anyways here's my auction. Any Tips or advice would be great! I really need this to sell, Might get a new G4 with the money! :D

My Ebay Dell Inspiron 3700 Auction

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Sorry to say but I think the reserve is what's stopping people from bidding on it.

In my honest opinion, whenever I see a "reserve not yet met" I just go to the next item.

Try add a "buy it now," that might work...

other than that, Good luck!

3. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is a guy that is selling the same Laptop Mint condition he also had a reserve of $500 but without all the extra stuff. His made the reserve of $500 and has 4 days to go. I have seen some people who tell how much the reserve is in the description. Would that help at all? Just so people don't think that it is at like $1000 or something? Or would that turn more people away?

New Auction Link!

NEW AUCTION LINK

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I wouldn't sweat it. I sell stuff with reserves all of the time. I usually don't get any bids for the first couple of days. I think you have a great eBay Page. If I had to bet I would say that you will get your reserve.

On one laptop I sold with a reserve, I had a guy e-mail me asking what the reserve was. I told him, and he bid the reserve right away. Now I usually post the reserve on the auctiuon.

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Your site looks great. I've never bought anything off of eBay, but if I was going to, then I would want plenty of pictures of the product. But, it looks to me like you have enough pics.

Good Luck! :)

6. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

one of the reasons why you haven't got as many bids as someone else selling the same thing is because your feedback rating isn't too high yet. Obviously this cant be helped until you've sold some stuff. I find that people are prepared to pay more on my auctions since my feedback rating increased. Anyone lookinmg to spend a large sum on ebay is going to want decent feedback ratings. Also, i find that my auctions dont get anywhere until the last 24hrs of the auction.

7. losfp macrumors regular

I know I don't bid until the last 5 mins of the auction anyway!!! :) gives other people less time to respond.