Secure America?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by szark, Oct 7, 2003.

1. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I felt the need to discuss this ad I saw while watching the news tonight about immigration reform. Don't know if anyone else has seen this ad or not, but something about it struck me the wrong way.

The group (located at this website) is pushing for immigration reform to ensure that we have more knowledge on who is coming in to the country and where they are. But the ad asks for an "immigration time-out" until the system is reformed.

Does anyone here actually believe we should stop all immigration until our system is good enough to, in the words of the ad, "know the difference between a terrorist and a tourist?" Should we then stop all citizens from leaving the country until we can be absolutely sure it is them returning, and not some terrorist in disguise?

I realize that the man in the ad has gone through a terrible tragedy with the loss of his son, but for some reason this message seems to be going a bit to far in my opinion.

What do you think? Are they overreacting? Or am I?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Secure America?

they are. it's what you called it: a reaction. and worse yet, it's based on fear.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

From the website, this part is certainly factual:

"Millions of people cross our open borders illegally.

Lax enforcement allows them to remain here.

Illegal aliens can easily obtain false identity documents, driver’s licenses and Social Security numbers so they can work and live here with little fear of apprehension."

The dollar costs to California, alone, are mind-boggling, and are part of the state's economic problems with their budget deficit. The crime problems are very serious in Texas and Arizona, as well as in southern California.

Insofar as the Mexican contingent of illegals, I find it interesting that the money sent from the US to Mexico by these folks is the greatest single economic sector of that country.

'Rat

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we should reward the ones who come in the right way, not reward the ones doing everything illegally- not learning our laws or ways, sneaking over not paying ss & fed taxes, driving with no license etc. if america needs these workers so bad then they should make it easier for people to come into this country the legal way. we cant just turn a blind eye to this problem and it has to be stopped. we need some type of reform to the whole mess.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, I agree, Arnie took advantage of the loopholes and look what he ended up with!

They are going to come whether we like it or not. The EU is facing the same problem and there aren't any easy answers. I do believe though that we desperately need a way to encourage seasonal farm workers to come north when needed and go back when the work is over. Right now they are too afraid to go back because of the border security.

'Rat, if we took a close look at what countries survive on money sent back home, I think Israel would be at the top of the list and Mexico way down the line. NAFTA has really f***ed up a lot of Mexican farmers' lives because of the massive US ag subsidies. It's sort of hypocritical to blame the illegals when we are the ones responsible for their unemployment at home.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we still have our borders to look after and our country first no matter what the problems in other countries. secure the border first,and figure out a new better way for immigrants to come in or rather visas for those moving back & forth with rewards for those that follow the rules and bigger penalties or whatever for those that dont. but there absolutely has to be a registration process for anyone coming & going out of the U.S.- license,registration,visa, call it whatever and make it easier for those to enter america provided they identify themselves. Govt is screwing up again with demo's vs republican crap and nothing happens. like 2 little kids fighting constantly.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What punishment or "bigger penalties" can we give to an illegal alien beyond throwing him out of the country?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

make him read all posts made by Dont Hurt Me?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Big words from a guy who doesn't capitalize. ;)

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

:)

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Only way I see to stop illegal immigration is to start making it legal.

I don't think there are enough troops to line them up along the borders, and even if you could, people would just tunnel under or fly over. Until it's just as nice to live in Mexico as it is to live here, people will migrate this way. If it ever becomes more attractive to live in Mexico for some reason, I think you'd find a lot of people who weren't making it here moving south to try their luck.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ugg, with respect to "NAFTA has really f***ed up a lot of Mexican farmers' lives because of the massive US ag subsidies."

Do you eat fresh veggies? In winter? Where do you think the lettuce and tomatoes come from? I'll give odds it's more likely Mexico than the U.S.

There are countries where our government's policies have hurt the farmers, but it's more in the line of such things as wheat and corn. (U.S. citizens are hurt by the support of Everglades-ruining sugarcane farms.) But Mexico isn't noted for wheat, and most of their corn is for domestic use.

(I was surprised to find that the beanfield folks in south central Colorado hurt the Mexican bean growers. That didn't crop up in "The Milagro Beanfield War". So, for sure that's one arena, but it existed long before NAFTA.)

Anyway, our borders are way too porous to folks of harmful intent...

'Rat