Secure Empty Trash

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by GigaWire, Nov 5, 2003.

1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Whenever I use Secure empty trash, it takes at least 5 minutes to complete, regardless of the number or size of files present. Anyone else experience similar?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Secure Empty Trash

Secure empty trash re-writes all the files you trash, and does not just remove their location from the catalog like a normal trash does. It stops the information from being retrieved. It took about 5 minutes for me to erase about a gig.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Does anyone know how many times the files are written over with the secure empty feature?

4. GigaWire thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what it does, what I am saying is that it is taking 5 minutes regardless of the number of files or file sizes. So beyond the normal delay expected from large files being written over, is anyone experiencing OBSCENE delays from sort of run of the mill stuff?

Example- I deleted 6 files with a total size of 5 mb. It took 3 minutes to do this. That is not normal. Anyone else?

BTW system is dual 2, so that is not the "limiting" factor.

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I just tried something similar (3 files about 7 mb) on a 1ghz g4 and it only took about 3 seconds. Try downloading Secret Shredder from version tracker and see how long it takes to delete them ( this app has several deleting options, but i would try using the DOD standard with 25 passes and time it).

6. GigaWire thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Vector-

I tried it and all is well when I use that program-

I wonder what the issue is-

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The only thing I can suggest is to reinstall, but as long as you do not need the feature very often and don't mind using Secret Shredder you would probably be better off just using SS. I like SS better because it lets you customize what level of security you want from basic to deletion that meets DOD standards and can overwrite files up to 25 times. It isn't built into th os like the secure empty feature, but i just keep it in the dock and drag and drop the files.