Secure Virtual Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irain, Dec 27, 2006.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

I know this probably isn't topic-worthy, but I searched Apple's website along with the forums and couldn't find an answer. In System Preferences, under Security, what will happen if I check off "Use secure virtual memory?"

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Basically, it helps protect your data that gets swapped out to virtual memory from RAM. Things like passwords and other sensitive data can end up in plain text in the swap files if you do not use this option.

3. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Is there a performance advantage to un-checking it?

4. CIrawI3riCIge macrumors member

Bump, as I'd like to know the answer to this too.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

yes there is a bit of overhead as OS X has to decrypt and encrypt on page in's outs. Although you computer can easily handle it.

6. CIrawI3riCIge macrumors member

I wonder if something like Geekbench would be suitable for showing the difference. I'll post the results if I do a comparison.

What's strange is I'm getting page-outs just using iMovie with no other aps running. I have 4GB of RAM and plenty free RAM. Why is it hitting my Swap when I have nearly 3GB free? Here's a pic. [This is probably not worth starting a new thread]

Perhaps un-ticking "Use Secure Virtual Memory" would offer better performance in this case.

Attached Files:

• PO.jpg
      PO.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
  7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats because the free memory hasnt been used yet. after using Apps and not rebooting for while free memory will become very low. this is because it has been cached to disk and is inactive memory. thats why they launch faster the second time.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

8. eellerto macrumors newbie

Could this have anything to do with the problem I am experiencing, which is that I lose space on my hard drive all the time, and I can't restore it until I restart my laptop. I usually lose about 1 gb in an hour so. I am desperately trying to figure out why.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, it could be virtual memory that's eating up the space, but it shouldn't be anything to do with this system preference option.

Sorry for the very slow reply - hopefully it'll be helpful for other people via search (how I found this :p).

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I have 2GB of RAM and have no slowdowns with it enabled. It's worth it.

11. michaelwithe21 macrumors member

michaelwithe21

vmware fusion and secure virtual memory

I wonder, seeing as VmWare Fusion uses Virtual memory, do you guys think it could severly impact the speeds of vmware fusion running Windows (pre-allicated space or not?)?

Please explain in detail of the relevance between secure virtual memory and how it may impact the use of Virtual OS (using VMWare Fusion).