secure wireless set up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Apr 1, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I tried to set up a secure wireless set up using a linksys router. I couldn't get my Mac to take the password.

I used my sons old Dell with XP and it linked up immediately. I don't think I mistyped anything in. It just seems like there might be something in OSX that I'm not doing?

I have a Ti-Book and OSX 10.4.5.

Even after it synced with the Dell, and the wireless network was up, I still couldn't get OSX to take the password. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Frank

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of security do you have? Maybe try putting a dollar sign ($) before the password. :)

3. bzgnyc macrumors newbie

Did you install AirPort Update 2005-001? This update does not seem to be included in MacOS X 10.4.5. I could not connect my friend's TiBook 1GHz to a Netgear WGR614v3 router configured with WPA-PSK security, and installing this update fixed the problem right away.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Maybe try putting a dollar sign ($) before the password. <<

ROFL!!! I love that.

>>Did you install AirPort Update 2005-001? <<

Where would I find out if I did?? I do all the auto updates that come along.

Frank

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wasn't joking. :eek:

Sometimes, Macs need a dollar sign in front of their passwords before they can join hexadecimal-secured networks. This was meant to have been stopped in an update last year but some people are still finding they need the dollar sign. :)

In System preferences, go to Software Update and click on the Installed Updates. Is it there? It should be if you're getting all the automatic updates. :)

FWIW, this link may be helpful too.

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>I wasn't joking.

Sometimes, Macs need a dollar sign in front of their passwords before they can join hexadecimal-secured networks. This was meant to have been stopped in an update last year but some people are still finding they need the dollar sign. <<

Interesting. I'll try that tomorrow when I get back to the office.

>>In System preferences, go to Software Update and click on the Installed Updates. Is it there? It should be if you're getting all the automatic updates. <<

I got it in Nov, 2005.

>>FWIW, this link may be helpful too.<,

Very interesting!!!
    Thanks.

Frank

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

That worked. Adding the $ infront of the 10 digit Hex code worked. Amazing. I restarted the Mac before I tried to add it in.

Frank