Securing/monitoring Mac on network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Maekel, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Maekel macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2005
    Hey guy n gals. I searched for threads on this but could find nothing.

First off I'm no certainly expert when it comes to networks but I know a little bit.

Basically I connect via ethernet to a network in university halls which is just plug in and go. I'm a little weary of other users of this network probably all PCs (200 or so) on XP stealing my data or doing anything naughty. I have my firewall in Tiger on and it's got all the advanced options on as well i.e. stealth mode. I also have my computer password protected but I don't have file vault on.

So I was just wondering what my status is regarding security.

Is there any way to see is someone is connected to my machine? Can they connect to my precious baby? If so can I do something about it apart from kick them in the goolies?

The reason I ask is that recently my harddrive seems to be 'active' a lot as in a very very quiet whiring... its kind of pulsing I hadn't noticed it previously. Wondered if it might have something to do with that. Maybe a silly question as it doesn't go away when the cable is unplugged... but it's really annoying me and I hope it's not dying (only 4 month old iBook)
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Dude, without the firewall on and all the services in the Sharing area turn off, you should be just fine and dandy. But since you are paranoid, turn on the firewall, get Little Snitch Other than that, the only thing that people can possibly connect to without using your username and password would be your Drop Box. Which is put out there for anyone to drop files onto your computer, NOT RUN THEM, JUST DROP THEM OFF when you have file sharing turned on. Little snitch should help in your knowing what is being sent out of your computer.

The activity is probably SPOTLIGHT, you know it has to constantly index your drive and it usually tries do when you are not using it. And the fact that you HD is spinning just means its on, not that its being used. And you might also just be hearing the fans run that keeps your Mac cool.

Man, why does everyone think they have been hacked when their computer makes a sound.