Securing the MBA (no Kensington lock)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vd0t, Dec 8, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Is there a solution to this problem? I am planning to use my MBA at work and it requires me, at some times during the day, to leave my notebook unattended while I go off and do other tasks. Unfortunately, I don't have my own office and I share a work area with other people. Any suggestions?

Previously, I just used a Kensington lock to secure my MBP.

2. macrumors 65816

Alvi

Isn't it thin and light enough to take it with you?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

It's not quite practical to do that unfortunately. Part of my work requires me to perform tasks in a lab, and I have to leave the office to do that. I can't take my MBA with me.

And for example, if I head to the lunchroom during lunch, I don't want to have to carry the MBA with me!

4. macrumors 65816

I am considering getting a mba and this is a potential issue for me too. I don't want to have to carry my mba to the bathroom etc when I am in the library.

5. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. macrumors 65816

Excellent idea. Does such a thing exist? :)

7. macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

MBP then, locking down equipment is important, not only because of the value of the device itself but because of the research data you lose.

8. macrumors 65816

I agree. It looks like I will have to stick with my MBP, its a pity as it is quite heavy to lump around. Better than getting an air stolen though

9. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

10. macrumors 65816

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking for a cheaper solution.. I just need a slight deterrence. I just don't someone to be able to pickup my MBA and leave. Maybe some sort of modified Kensington lock solution. I saw someone selling something like that (a metal piece that you put on the hinge) on eBay but it obscures the screen a bit, and that's a deal breaker.

12. macrumors regular

13. macrumors newbie

Caem

14. macrumors regular

I do lab work too. I think the only way you can do this is probably just asking your labmates to watch it for you, or just don't bring it to work. But that would kinda defeat the purpose of having a laptop this portable

15. macrumors 68000

BeyondtheTech

I know this is extreme, but anyone tried removing the bottom cover of the Air and punching through or using some sort of epoxy to attach a lock or other securing mechanism?

16. thread starter macrumors regular

How does Apple secure their MBAs in their stores? Anyone know? Maybe we can use a similar method...

17. macrumors 6502

18. macrumors 6502

That's a good idea. Any case that has sturdy zippers that can be locked together (and then around the desk) could work.

Good question. I'm sure they have the kind of solution where there is something glued onto the MBA. They probably also have a motion sensing alarm.

19. macrumors regular

Are there a lot of people around?

I just use iAlertU app/program.

It's a nifty little security lock that when activated- a "disturbed" MBA will squeal like a car alarm, take a snap shot photo with the facetime camera and forward the photo to your email.

Handy as i'm sure you can recognize every face in your shared environment.

Disturbance can be sent to:
    - Any key stroke
    - Touch pad activation
    - Removal of a USB
    - Disconnection of charger cord.

The last is most useful as I assume the snatcher will have to disconnect the charger somehow- making the MBA squeal at full volume. Kind of embarrassing to run away with a squeal laptop IMO.

Good iAlertU.
    Free.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a good program to install for those situations. But still, I would prefer to have something physical attached to my laptop...

21. Pete A, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

macrumors member

Lock it in a desk drawer or filing cabinet?

Hide it in a folder? If the people who see you hide it can't be trusted, you have my sympathy. (Terrible place to work.)

22. macrumors 65816

I believe they use an alarm that's attached to the USB port which will squeal if disconnected.

23. macrumors 6502

elithrar

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or if you have lockable draws, just drop it in them. It's not like you'll be waiting for it to wake up from sleep everytime you get back ;)

24. thread starter macrumors regular

I see your point, but what if my computer is doing something (downloading, processing data, etc..)... it's still not a perfect solution.

25. macrumors 6502

Not if you download something like insomniax, which prevents the laptop from going to sleep when you close the lid.