Securing Wi-Fi, Mac Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shellbryson, Jan 22, 2007.

1. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Hi guys,

I have a mac pro that is connected to our cable router via cat5. I also have a PowerBook and a Windows PC. The PC is also wired to the router, and the PowerBook uses the routers wi-fi connection.

So, anyway, the router is broken (only allows 4mbit connection and crashes often). I thought I'd try use the Mac Pro's built in wi-fi and share it's connection as it's left on 24/7. The MP connects fine (wired directly to the cable modem), however I'm having trouble connecting the PowerBook after it initially working. Since turning on the firewall on the MP, the PB no longers sees the internet (although it connects fine to the MP's airport).

Any suggestions?

Also, what about security? How do I enable WEP-PSK (or any other key) for the Mac Pros shared airport connection?

TIA!

S.

2. tek macrumors regular

I'd personally just pick up a replacement router. They aren't very expensive at all (you can grab one for £30ish) and it'll save you a lot of hassle.

3. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Yeha you may be right. Apparently my cable provider offers free wireless router so I'll give them a call.