Security and software updates :confused:

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sofila, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. sofila macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2006
    Ramtop Mountains
    Hallo everyone, I've tried a "search" in the forums before posting this thread, I hope I won't go against some "RTFM" replies.
    I'm waiting for my new iMac 20" to be delivered (probably next Friday).
    I won't be connected to the Web until the end of the month due to a provider change.
    I don't know which system version I'll have on my new Mac (10.4.3,10.4.4) so I'm downloading the .dmg's I think I will need:
    -Mac OS X 10.4.6 for Intel (if it's 10.4.5) posted on 04/03/06
    -Mac OS X 10.4.6 Combo for Intel (for the older versions).
    The question is about the security updates: should I have to download "Security Update 2006-002 v.1.1 Mac OS X 10.4.5 Client (Intel)" posted on 03/16/06 (older) or all of his benefits are included in the 10.4.6 update?
    If I need this security update, I assume I will have to upgrade it before I get to 10.4.6...or not?

    Is it enough to burn on a cd those dmg's I've downloaded and copy them to my hard disk once I will need them?
    Thanks for any useful reply.
  2. janey macrumors 603


    Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    I think it's better for you to wait and run Software Update on your iMac when you do have an internet connection than to worry about those things now. such a difference won't really make a huge difference unless one of the things you're planning on using all the time is something fixed in the .6 update.

    Have fun with your new mac :)
  3. Applespider macrumors G4


    Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You just need the combo updater regardless of what version it ships with.

    I think the Security Updates are included in it - but if you're not going to be online, you're very unlikely to be affected by anything 'fixed' by it so it really won't matter if you don't apply that til then.

    If you're going to be using iLife, you might want to download the patches for them from Apple's support site. Some of them fix things on the Intel Macs.

    But again don't fret too much. As janey says, it's for such a short time that waiting really won't affect your Mac.

    And yes, burning onto CD and then running from your hard drive is fine if you decide to do it anyhow
  4. sofila thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2006
    Ramtop Mountains
    Thank you for your advices. It's the same old story: I can't wait to put my hands on it.
    I've 3 days left to convince myself to take a deep breath and not to try to run everything in the same moment...;)

Share This Page