Security for USB Key Drive?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, Oct 30, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am desperate to find a way to secure data on a USB key drive.

Is there any utility that will password lock the drive or files?

Is there anything that will encrypt the files but allow me to work on them from my Mac? (a la File Vault)

Anything that is dual platform? (Using 10.4.8 and sometimes XP, though the latter is optional)

Any other solutions you can think of that would be simple to implement and use?

Help! I can't believe that so many of us carry around files on our keychains and that should we lose them, or files are all easy to read. The program that I am using has no security save options like MS Word.

Cheers!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You can create an encrypted disk image the just a bit smaller than your drive so it fits on and store all your files in that.

However this will not work in windows (so it is not the most helpful of answers.)

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

How do I create a disk image? Will Mac apps be able to use it transparently once I have entered a password or something?

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

5. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Does it have to be Mac formatted? It doesn't seem to be encrypted (despite selecting 128 and entering and confirming a password, although the keychain may be handling it).

Thanks for your help!

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

WHen you first entered the password there is a checkbox that says something like save passowrd in keychain, i think it may be selected by default so it is probably keychain coming into play.

7. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Once again fantastic help from all here in this excellent community. Even though I have only been using a Mac since January, I often forget that I am a newbie. That's thanks to all of you people here, so thank you.