security issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ndmccormack, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ndmccormack macrumors member

surely this is the biggest security issue ever...
    if i put in the panther cd, I can reset any passord (even down to the toot administrator) to gain access to the computer. admittedly I don't think I can do this over the network (altho maybe with network install commands I can). But whats the point of having passwords if this is possible with every copy of panther out there???

any thoughts?
    Niall

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Any OS is like this so it is a must that you have physical security as well as network security. They each complement each other.

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yes, basically if someone has physical access to a machine security is not really possible (unless you encrypt your home dir with something like file vault). When people talk about security, they are nearly always talking about whether people who don't have physical access to the machine can get on it, such as someone trying to log in through the Internet.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If somebody can gain physical access to your computer then all bets are off.

Security goes beyond software. Remember those locks on your doors are there for a reason.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

someone could also make a Van Eck Box and read the sensitive data on your screen, but you don't see me working inside a farade cage.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

7. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

whoa.. that van eck box is a bit crazy. I think I've opened a whole bag of "we've got the fear" worms here that I didn't really need to know about!

it does seem a little strange to me, but I suppose as broken_keyboard said, its really only when people get physical access to your machine that this matters, as network security is usually a bit tighter!

If I encrypt my home directory, will the password not be resetable from the bootup cd? or does this password system exist above/seperate form the administrator priveliges?

not that all thsi really matters... I'm only a lowly graphic designer, encryption is the least of my worries!

Niall