Security Lock Slot Troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jockeyrob, Mar 16, 2007.

1. jockeyrob macrumors member

Nov 24, 2006
    I have a 17-inch MacBook Pro with a Kensington lock. The lock seemed to be working fine for a while, but then it stopped working.

What I mean is that I could turn the lock from the outside, without unlocking it with the key, and the lock would unlock and I would be able to take it out of the security slot. Troubling.

I called Kensington and they said it was their lock and sent me a new one. Same problem; a simple turn of the lock from the outside and it would come out.

I called again and they sent me ANOTHER one, thinking again it was the lock.

However I seem to think that there's something wrong with my security slot, is this possible? Is it possible that I scraped around inside it and ruined something? The plastic coating on my security slot is a little mangled, but not so much as would make me think that it would be a problem for locking.

Should I call Apple? Investigate further? Any thoughts?
  2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    Nice Kensington customer service.
    I find it hard to believe that three different locks would be faulty. Seems to me that your MBP is the problem.

My 15" MBP works fine with my Kensington lock. Only problem is that I never seem to remember how to unlock the thing again :eek:

Don't see how you could damage the slot by simply turning the lock. Applying a large amount of force by pulling or pushing the lock might bend the casing slightly, making the locking impossible.
    Did your temper overcome you :)?

Is it possible that the lock didn't work properly in the past either, and you just didn't notice it?
  3. jockeyrob thread starter macrumors member

Nov 24, 2006
    I think there's a piece inside that holds the lock close to the outside casing (so that the lock cannot turn) that's broken, so the lock hangs off the side and can simply be turned and pulled out.

Anyone had this problem before? Any chance of help from Apple maybe?
  4. ClaytonK macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2007
    Mine too

My 17" MBP is having a similar problem. After working normally for a month my security slot was suddenly jammed locked. After some careful manipulation I got it out. But I could see an interior piece diagonally blocking the slot. Using a key I found this piece could rotate back to its normal position, and my lock still works, though less easily.