Security of other browsers such as Shiira

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Setpoint, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Setpoint macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2007
    I'd like to play around with some other WWW browsers, but first want to get a better understanding of their relative security against hackers, as compared to the more widely used browsers such as Safari, Camino, and FireFox.

I do use the latest non-beta versions of Safari, Camino, and FireFox.

I currently use OS 10.4.8 (I'm waiting a few more weeks for Apple to work out any kinks that OS 10.4.9 may still have) And, yes, I've got my firewall properly configured (including "stealth mode" enabled, etc.).

What about a browser such as Shiira? (<>)

Is there a Website that has info comparing the security of different browsers?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i can only say generally all browsers on mac is pretty good in security. But I can't be sure about them, and I doubt major company would report the bug and security hole on these small players.
  3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shiira is based on Web Kit which is what Safari uses, so basic security should be similar I'd guess. Can anyone elaborate on this?

At the very least, I doubt the world is beating down at the door to develop exploits and trojans specific to Shiira... ;)
  4. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Jul 24, 2006
    Hollywood, CA
    A firewall is not going to do jack to protect you from web browser security vulnerabilities... unless it's blocking all web traffic, which would kind of defeat the purpose of a web browser. Or unless your web browser is an older unpatched version of IE which responds to unsolicited requests.

"Hacking" any web browser is very, very hard to do because the process must be initiated by the client, loading a malicious page that has been specifically designed to exploit some flaw in one particular version of one particular browser. When Apple/whoever releases security updates to patch browser vulnerabilities, the vulnerabilities are almost always either esoteric or theoretical, and the patches usually come within weeks. I have never heard of them being used to actually attack/exploit Macs in the real world. If you are really worried about security, I'd say you have bigger fish to fry than your choice of web browser.
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    im guessing there would be two part, core and shell, for core, u are right, its same as safari's, but as shell, who knows if the developer has no extra back door or something like that.
  6. Setpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2007
    To all--

Thanks for the feedback on my question.